I Forge Iron

Large mandrel

M.Creson

I have recently acquired a large cone mandrel. This thing is in pristine condition and I have a great appreciation for the craftsmanship.  It is large at 55 inches tall, 18 inches at the base. It has 3 rings on the bottom for floor mounting, and is hollow. I have not had much luck finding a makers mark, though I haven't spent a huge amount of time doing so. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this would be worth, as it is relatively hard to find information on mandrels as the market is so small.

received_243575541150303.jpeg

received_2031017940406101.jpeg

received_563111844804444.jpeg

received_243853304430732.jpeg

received_418513613133640.jpeg

received_562045935074235.jpeg

received_206353171575319.jpeg

20211021_151636.heic 20211021_151634.heic

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the HEADER folk will see it on every post, nobody is likely to remember after opening the next one. And no need to apologize for living in Central Wisconsin, lots of member do and we' treat them kindly. :rolleyes: 

Nice looking mandrel cone but I have zero idea what it's worth, even here in the Mat Su Valley of Alaska.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. The only mandrel like that, I have run across in my area was at the shop of my mentor. He passed away in '91 and the family held an auction of all the shop equipment. If I remember right the mandrel went for $500 U.S. which was too rich for my pocketbook at the time.

There are several similar mandrels on our favorite on line auction site and they are going for about $1-1.5k.  No comment on whether that is a reasonable price or not.  Seems kind of high to me, particularly if it has to be shipped but I remember 5 cent candy bars too and my first anvil was 25 cents per pound 43 years ago.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Our local group had a silent auction during a meeting about 2 years ago. A long time member passed and willed his whole shop to the group. They needed another bid sheet for a similar sized mandrel, it finally went just north of $800 USD. You've got a nice one there.

Steve