I Forge Iron

Robo Calls

ThomasPowers

I got a similar one from a place claiming to be the El Paso County CO (Colorado Springs, CO) Sheriff's Office and when I asked the name of the Sheriff and they couldn't give it to me.  I had been recently employed by the El Paso County Attorney's Office and worked regularly with the Sheriff's Office.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

I think scams and confidence schemes have been with us since we started trading,

The classic New Orleans tourist scam: Scammer on Bourbon street comments on inebriated tourist's shoes, Hey man! Nice shoes! I'm something of a shoe expert and I bet you five dollars I can tell you where you got 'dem shoes. Inebriated tourist figures there is no way this local even knows where he is from so he takes the bet. Scammer says "You got 'dem shoes on your feet on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, now gimme my five dollars.

The typical bar bet. I rarely drank more than 3-4 beers in an evening so had fun with bar bets. Change one word and they can't win and if THEY won't take the bet you just give them THE LOOK. The bar flies laughter is reward enough. 

Frosty the Lucky.

10 hours ago, Purple Bullet said:

I'm something of a shoe expert and I bet you five dollars I can tell you where you got 'dem shoes.

I had a guy try that one on me in the early 90's when I was on Bourbon Street.  I already knew the gag and told him so, but that didn't deter him.   He changed to "I bet I can tell you how many kids your dad had."   And the punch line there is "Your dad didn't have any kids.  Your mom had them all."   I ended up talking with the guy for a while and I asked him why he does what he does.  He told me he can bring home around $300 on a good day and he sets his own hours.  Kinda hard to argue with that.

I've known a couple of LEO's that have had "the Law is on it's way" one pulled on them.  Well attempted at least.

Saw the shoes are on your feet on Season 6 of Monk last night---we're going through our DvD's as part of our pandemic entertainment.  My wife has a huge collection from when I was off living on the border. Mine are more like, "Secrets of the Viking Sword", "Black Adder", and Clifton's Ralph's Powerhammer ones.  Funny we seem to end up watching her's...