I Forge Iron

what coal can reach 2000 degrees F

I want to make a home made furnace because its a lot cheaper. Im planning on melting a few different metals the hottest melting point being brass (1700 F) so i need coal or something that can reach 2000 F. Is there something that can reach that high or would i need to buy a real furnace? I got the idea from king of random and Im planning on following his instructions on youtube. If you have any recommendations it would be amazing if you can leave a link please and thank you.

All coal and even real charcoal will reach 2000 deg  IF THE FURNACE IS BUILT RIGHT!  (They have been forge welding iron with charcoal, appx 2300 degF, for about 3000 years now.)

My suggestion for  anyone depending on instructions from the KofR is to FLEE, scrub your brain thoroughly with a good brain wash and find instructions from someone who knows what the HECK they are doing!!!!!!!! Really I rate his instructions to be about as good as brain surgery instructions form someone who has had 1 Biology 101 class.  You do know that plaster of paris starts to degrade way before it hits 1000 degF right?

Under the right conditions any coal can far exceed 2000F.. So can charcoal..

A word of warning: Be careful what instructions you're following on YouTube. I'm not familiar with "King of Random" but based on the channel name it doesn't seem like the sort of source I would trust for info on building a furnace.

1 minute ago, Frazer said:

I'm not familiar with "King of Random" but based on the channel name it doesn't seem like the sort of source I would trust for info on melting.

To be fair, KofR has improved slightly since Grant Thompson died two years ago (the channel is owned by his widow, who has hired replacement hosts). However, popularity and decent production values do not reliable information make.

10 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

"Plaster of paris and sand"  nuff said!

thank you just looked it up you saved me a few hundred dollars ill just buy a furnace what would you recommend on a budget i found one on amazon but if someone like you could recommend one that would boost my confidence in the furnace a bit more.

Actually have you read the books  “Build a Complete Metalworking Shop From Scrap!” by Dave Gingery. The first book shows you how to melt metal and make aluminum castings. The second book shows you how to make a complete working metal lathe from castings.

His work is well proved in and accepted; I have not reviewed the videos that come up when you search on his name though.

You can't smelt aluminum in that furnace you posted a link to; it is designed for melting---VERY different things!  I would like some clear indication of capacity and if the insulation has been treated to not produce dangerous fibers!  Up to 1" insulation: I would like to see 2". 

Just An FYI, links to commercial sites (amazon, ebay, etc.) aren't allowed. Please take a moment to read the following to get the most out of the site:

Just because PoP can't withstand high temperatures doesn't mean there aren't other options available to use. Not having any experience with melting metals (on purpose) I'll leave it to others to suggest options.

Have you ever done any melting before or are you just getting started?

Have you reviewed the information at backyardmetalcasting.com?

If you are just getting started I would strongly suggest you spend some time working with another caster who has some experience.  Molten metal can be much more dangerous than hot solid metal even if the solid metal is 500 degF hotter than the molten metal!

I notice that "The Charcoal Foundry" is about US$8 from the Gingery Book Store.  I strongly suggest you get a copy!

He also designed a gas fired crucible furnace and wrote it up as a book too.

See if there are any classes available locally before you spend money on the PPE and whatever materials you might need to get started. YT videos can be useful, but they can't replace in person instruction from people who know what they're doing.

Additionally, if you put your general location in your profile you may find there are other members in your area who can help.

I agee with getting a copy of "The Charcoal Foundry".  I built one years ago and poured metal for many years without a problem.  I always wanted to make a Lil' Bertha but never did get around to it.

If you have no experience, heed the safety advice and learning suggestions of others.  I once had a tiny bit of air arc slag find its way into my glove and couldn't get it off before it burned a deep hole in my palm.  I can't imagine the damage a glob of molten aluminum or brass would do.

One of the differences is that hot solid metal will fall to the ground and just sit there.  Hot molten metal can fall to the ground and blow back and "chase you screaming down the hall!"

I got my metal casting training by taking an out of hours brass casting class at a local university's art department. Well worth the rather minor cost!!!

I worked for a year in a foundry when I was young (I've worked in many different industries over time but never found my calling, not many industrial scrap metal art  plants around...:)) and started as a laborer, working up to a ladle operator.  I kept my eyes open and they had an amazing safety program so I learned a lot.  I also know of a fellow that got splashed by molten zinc at his job.   I used to enjoy casting but am kind of glad I don't mess with it anymore.

I've been splashed by molten zinc before.  Not something I enjoyed!   (Working a nonvehicular coil spring in the forge and didn't realize there was a small piece of a ZAMAK fitting buried in the coils.  Very little splash but I had a job that tore open the wound every day for over a week so the scar is a bit more prominent that it would have been.)