I Forge Iron

Building a Pen

Houjous

I found this series (linked below) And thought it would be a neat idea to make a series of pens with Mokume Gane. Ive collected the quarters that will be sacrificed but I've hit fatal issue. The videos linked below show himself building the pen off a lathe. I do not have such a tool. What would the best method to correctly form the body of the pens?

edit: also I do plan on setting their birthstones on the pen clip hints on how to set gems would also be good!

Thanks!

Link removed due to advertising

I made a post that had links to videos which gave instructions how to build a pen im trying to recreate. A video I do not have connection with. But it was taking down; (due to unauthorized advertising) so I'll give you as limited information as I can.

I want to make a pen but dont have a lathe. need tips. it will need to have a screw top. need suggestions. i have limited tools

Houjous, what kind of a pen, dip, ball point, felt tip, or fountain?  Each one would require different approaches.

You can simulate a lathe for small work by placing an electric drill with an adjustable speed in a vise and put the work piece in the chuck.  Then, with the drill turning at a slow speed use a file as a tool against the turning work remove (slowly) the material you don't want.

It will be harder to drill a straight hole down the middle for the guts of the pen unless you can use a drill press and a vise to hold the work.  If you try to do it with a hand held drill you will have a very high chance of the bit wandering off center and ruining the piece.

I think I would forge the mokime gane into a rough cylinder and then drill the central hole, if needed.  Then I would use a bolt or threaded rod through the hole to be put into the drill chuck.

Of course you could always do the shaping the analog way and use a hand file.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

It will be a ballpoint pen. I'm going to steal internals of a replaceable ink cartrage. It will be 3 pieces, the top which screws into the base and then the cap which will hold by friction.  I was thinking a 5-7 degree taper from the center of the pen to the tip.`

Edited by Mod30
Remove @name tag

OK, I think the process I mentioned will work but it will be fussy work to get the male and female parts of the cap to fit on by friction securely.  I'm not sure I would want to take that on.  Could you cut some threads to secure the top with, say, a half turn?   That, of course, would require access to a tap and die set and you have said that you are tool poor.  It will also be interesting to provide for the replacement of cartridges.

We would love to see pictures of the progress and of the finished products.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

For gem setting I would suggest seeing if there is a local community college that offers a jewelry making class that covers it.  They may also have tools you can access to make some of the other steps easier! (I could introduce you to the instructor down here---but it's unlikely you would be translocating just for that.)