I Forge Iron

Stone anvil base

I have my post anvil mounted to a roughly 400 lb block of black granite. It is extremely quiet and very solid. This is my go to anvil when I am using a striker. Between the anvil and base it is over 500 lbs. It is bolted together with 1/2" concrete anchors that have been drilled into the granite. pardon the stuff around it, we are in the process of cleaning the garage out so boxes and stuff got stacked around it.

PXL_20210930_140615052.jpg

In Cutlers shops nearly all of them had their anvils mounted into a hole in a chunk of stone..  The anvils height was set and then scale, clay, dirt, etc, etc would fall in around the base (which is not parralel side to side or front to back) and this would lock the anvil in the stone. 

You can see the depth this anvil was locked into the stone via this method.. 

20190119_151024.jpg

Me being a stone mason by trade. One thing I like about that video is how he is using alot of old school techniques that alot of younger people don't know about (at least here in the USA), with the advent of technology alot of these old techniques are being lost. For example, It's just easier to use an impact drill to drill your holes. But he showed various other methods for drilling depending on the situation and what he needed the hole for. 

cool vid. I had a period of time where I made stone working tools for a couple of stone carvers. They both used marble from Marble Colorado. It was interesting watching Him split the stone. The two I worked for had me make feathers and wedges for splitting. I have no clue If using wedges or feathers and wedges is stone specific.

I couldnt help but wonder if that was a public road with a stone defined pulloff. Imagine the surprise when the local DOT discovered a pile of rubble and a hole in their barrier. 

Remembering our discussion a week or so ago on stolen anvils, I'd guess this setup would work pretty well.  ;)

IIRC feathers and slips are used to make more precise splits. I watched a video some years ago after watching something on the Discovery channel where they were cutting marble for buildings and counter tops. They split a slab off a face about 20' square about 4" thick with a few holes slips and feathers. (long thin wedges) 

Letting the slabs down flat was the "tricky" part according to the stone master being interviewed. The quarry was one of the ancient ones from Pharonic Egypt, another was an ancient Greecian quarry. Lots of the marble in Rome came from the one in Greece but not all of it. 

I love that kind of stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

Feathers and slips (also “feathers and wedges”) have the advantage that they can be “aimed” by rotating them in their holes before you start splitting. That said, they can also be used for rough splitting as well as fine. 

Many of the ancient quarries split off slabs and blocks by pounding wooden stakes into drilled holes and then pouring water on them to make them swell. The fact that nobody does it this way now is a pretty good indication of how efficient it was. 

• 1 month later...