I Forge Iron

Christmas 2021

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It's all in the pronunciation.     Back when I had teeth my Daughter used to make me a pecan pie for my birthday---she picked the recipe that used 3 times as many pecans as the other recipes did, pecans top to bottom and just a little of the glop for mortar.  I've been lucky coming from Arkansas and now living in New Mexico---both states raise a lot of pecans!

Frosty, i have had that pecan brittle before myself, heck i think i may have made one in the past actually. 

Pecan pie is hands down beyond a doubt my favorite. I learned to make them back when i was a teenager. 

Cant wait for the holidays, i  get to make Mandarin orange ginger muffins and, if i can find any, persimmon bread also.   

This is killing me. Recently I changed to a continuous blood glucose monitor and have been tracking what food actually does to it. I'd already cut way down on baked goods but holy moly. We took visiting relatives to a close by high end restaurant, "Settler's Bay," for the great food and world class view. Everybody else had their bread pudding for desert, I had one small bite. <sniff>

I haven't had a muffin, cupcake or taste of pie in too long. WAY too long. 

My Mother and Grandmother were masterful bakers, Mother was better at: cakes, breads, and such. Her Banana, pumpkin, apple, pear, etc. breads were famous in the neighborhood. Mother's German Chocolate and Orange cake were my hands down favorite cakes, ever. Mom, our Grandmother was more the pie super baker. She could make an incredible pie out of almost anything, her walnut pie was . . . 

I gotta stop or I'll break discipline and pig out on . . . 

Frosty The Lucky.

Why my Daughter looked up a recipe that had minimal corn syrup in it and was mainly pecans.  Still not good for me; but I can cut a slice with a microtome and enjoy it; but not go into ketoacidosis.   My wife tried a new addition to her famed chicken and dumplings last night.  Was not a success; so I ate so light a supper that I went low around 3:30 am.  Had a glass of apple cider and some peanut butter and back to bed.

They like their dumplings the way you like pecan pie. Are you surprised?

Add a little baking powder so they rise a bit and they're a popular surprise in stew. Finish it under a broiler if you like them browned.

Food . . . mmmmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am so glad you did not say that she used canned biscuits for dumplins. For some reason that has become a popular short cut around here. 

2 C. flour, 1 C. water, pinch of salt, i roll them out and use a pizza cutter to make them. Add them to the broth that has been on the stove most of the day at a good boil. Make a nice roux and add to thicken into gravy.

I think i have not let my roux cook long enough the last couple times i made them was my problem.   

That's how I make dumplings. I've had doughboy dumplings and they're almost as good as soaking broth up with bread. I will fess up to covering a pot of baked beans with doughboy biscuits and baking them to finish. Not bad but home made bread is WAY better baked bean crust.

I ever thought about making roux in the oven. Thank you John! Now you have me wondering how a pan coffee roaster would work for making roux. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm still wearing short sleeves under my jacket. It's been snowing since yesterday and there's about 18" on the ground. I may have to hang the snow plow though I'd REALLY prefer to drive the first 12" into a good hard pack so the plow doesn't shove all the gravel into the snow dumps. If I try to drive this much down we'll be dealing with ruts all winter. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.