I Forge Iron

Help to identify

Hello, some time ago I got this anvil, a super cheap price, it weighs around 100 pounds, looking for I do not see any marks, I only see that it has 4 hardie holes, one of them is on the bottom I would like if someone can give me an idea of how old It is, apart from that it has a very good rebound, the person who had it before me cleaned it with a polishing machine had it for decoration, thanks in advance I hope you can help me

Screenshot_20210920-114343_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210920-114400_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210920-114417_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210920-114431_Gallery.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Those holes on the side an bottom are handling holes, the one on top is a hardy hole, 

judging by the base an lack of pritchel hole I’d say it kinda looks like a colonial pattern but I’m not an expert, I’m sure Thomas will be along soon, he can give you more information

have you read the read this first thread? It can help answer questions an help you navigate through the forum 

Yes i have a forge,making knife,thong,chizel exct,the anvil have good rebound 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Like the ones they learned the craft making.  

You thinks is a 200 year anvil?? Thats is great only paid $90

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

Here in my country blacksmiths do not exist what little I have learned from reading and videos, I am a beginner

1 hour ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Do you have any pictures of the stuff you have made? 

20201207_170913.jpg

20201224_131623.jpg

20201226_124120.jpg

20201226_131240.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

I learned on my own---preinternet too,  Alexander Weygers "The Modern Blacksmith" was what I got started with. It's back in print combined with his other two books and called "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" He goes into detail on how to smith where you have to make your own equipment from scratch.  I highly recommend it to you.

I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened steel face, which does more harm than good. It looks like it is ready to go to work. The only thing I would do is rub some BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) or paste wax on it to prevent rusting and hammer hot steel on it.

There are a lot of good books that can be downloaded for free here.

http://www.bamsite.org/books/books.html

Your English is much better than my Spanish. My wife's family emigrated to New York in the 1940s from PR and she is 1st generation born in the Continental U.S. and is fluent in Spanish. My vocabulary consists mainly of swear words that can't be repeated on this forum.:D

1 hour ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Your English is much better than my Spanish. My wife's family emigrated to New York in the 1940s from PR and she is 1st generation born in the Continental U.S. and is fluent in Spanish. My vocabulary consists mainly of swear words that can't be repeated on this forum.:D

Jajaja great, bad words are part of Puerto Rican haha

1 hour ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

My Spanish is limited to food names lol

haha you know the most important food lol

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Una Cerveza demasiada grande y fria, Bitte

If you come to Puerto Rico or go somewhere that sells beer from here, ask for a medalla or a shot of pitorro is the best 

58 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

One beer… something… big… cold?… something lol 

I guess I don’t have a future as a translator lol

Yess that's