I Forge Iron

Welding on a new leg

FurFinFeather

Hello IFI - I have this very nice 5" Peter Wright vise BUT it suffered an "amputation" sometime in its past.  What's the preferred method to add a leg?  Would you:

1) taper and weld on a mild steel replacement at the break,

2) cut back the nub to the cheeks and then weld on a new leg or,

3) Keep the nub, weld on a new leg (as in #1) but add a sleeve over the joint?

Any tips for welding mild to wrought as well?

Resized_20210916_130958_15605401855971.jpeg

I'd cut the remainder about 45* the high end facing the back of the vise. Grind the remainder to make deep penetration easy.

Match the new leg to the remainder and tack them at the ends of the angle. Straighten the first tack while it's still hot. Once cool, tack the center of each side. Chip, brush thoroughly and weld it up.

7018 is the rod I've heard most commonly recommended for WI to steel. Of course you can use something exotic and expensive like Eutectic 680 but 1lb. is worth almost as the vise, maybe more.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of welding a leg (I'd recommend frosty's method); as an alternative, you could make a matching "socket" which you mount on the floor, as such you can make a low socket and a high socket; depending on your needs ? The stump looks round; it should be possible with a lathe to make a matching socket with a snug fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd loop back on this... I decided to weld on a new leg using Frosty's method.  After cutting back the nub to a 50~ish degree angle, I put a deep chamfer on the vise and the new leg, and then welded it up.  Works great!  A low vise is a great idea and the thought crossed my mind but I also have a 7" Peter Wright that was shortened years ago that will be taking that role as soon as I get around to building a stand for it.  Thanks again IFI!

• 2 months later...

Ive got an iPhone 11 Pro Max and it will automatically load all my pictures to ifi threads…. Everything except my profile picture for some reason it has to be sized, 

and it always loads sideways for some reason, I was talking with Scott the other day an he suggested I take a sideways picture then, so I did and it loaded in the correct position lol

• 1 month later...