I Forge Iron

Just picked up a Reed 105

7hatguy

Picked this up today for $20. It was very much seized up. Obviously got it unstuck. Am going to sandblast it today and look for cracks and other damage. It does have some missing material as you can see in the picture. I understand these are cast iron or ductile iron. Ive welded on cast one time before it came out well. 

would it be beneficial to clean that up back there and weld some steel onto it to bring that back to what it should be or not? Also if i find and cracks in the body should i weld them? 

B8AE9A09-83D1-4CF5-9516-488F1FBC176E.jpeg

No sir. I didnt have any to be able to repair it with it. I used 1018, three pieces, welded them together then welded that to the vice. Of course after prepping the cast iron.  Used xuper 2233n rod to do the job. Preheated with a rosebud, peened the weld and then buried in preheated silica sand. 

Im thinking it was dropped. So the bushing that keeps the screw in was gone and the pin was sheared on both sides. The pin that keeps the block in that the screw screws into was also gone. There was also a crack running up the middle of the piece that was broken as well. That crack was ground out and a hole drilled at the end of the crack.