I Forge Iron

BOSS power hamer or something repair

Hi, guys! Some time ago I bought a BOSS power hammer replica and now I started repairing it. The motor is running well, the rear clutch disk is spinning, but there is nothing between the two disks. The material turned to black dust at some time - the hammer was abandoned at 1990. 

Now I am searching someone with such hammer for some help/photos. At first I need the thickness of the material between the disks and/or some pics of the inside of the clutch. IMG_20210906_175744.thumb.jpg.e5f29a07a5992e6b0df56effcbd5c1ee.jpg

IMG_20210906_174218.jpg

IMG_20210906_174213.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Andrew T said:

Don't know the boss hammer, but, are you sure it's not cast iron on cast iron? Clutch material could be something like 1/4" leather that gets oiled for a nice slip but I don't see any holes for mounting it to your clutch.

I am sure. When I got it, there was too many dark dust falling from between the disks. A few days ago I took it to a machine shop, where they put some ferodo on the smaller disk and now I have to make a new set(s) of dies and pour some concrete for a foundation. The hammer works like this now - 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, Frosty said:

Check into automotive clutch and brake pad adhesives.

I remember it from auto shop class in the mid 1960s but learning to reline a clutch was a more advanced class than I took. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The company, where I took it, makes truck clutches. They did a great job and I couldn't wait to assemble it and try it. Now it works great and I have to decide where it will be, so that I can start poring the base.