I Forge Iron

The Andaman Swipe

templehound

templehound, one of the points that Larrin Thomas (the "Knife Steel Nerd") makes in his article is this:

Furthermore, edge geometry and a little bit of skill are the main sources for [Richtig's] excellent performance in chopping through steel, rather than the heat treatment. The focus on his legendary heat treatment is somewhat of a red herring.

What are your thoughts on this?

On 9/17/2021 at 12:46 PM, JHCC said:

What are your thoughts on this?

Larrin Thomas is really good.....I agree with him as far as my humble practical experience confirms

Considering the overall information we got, there is an incredible range of different hardness on the blades

that are able to cut a nail or steel parts.

Richtig's blades:.....They also measured hardness for the knives with the large knife ranging between 36-46 Rc with an average of about 39 Rc and the small knife 40-56 Rc with an average of 50 Rc.

Shawn Houston, CPM15V, 67 HRC !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bliUWSXm09o

the blades that perform well in that kind of cutting test are so different ...that is fascinating

so it is not the alloy, not the HT, not the hardness that only leaves the geometry and....."how" the blade is pounded into that cutting object.

a few years ago I experimented on that subject and diced up nails with a blade.

It performed really nice the first 7 or 8 cuts, than it chipped from one side of the edge.

I realized that I became sloppy in the angle of holding the blade and hitting its back.

that made my blade fail.

so I think Larrin Thomas is as close as revealing "the secret HT" of Richtig....geometry, skills and showman ship...

for all the live performances and sensational events he performed he had to give the thing a name

seems that the HT fitted the best...."HT" means heat treatment or we could understand it as 

The secret "how to" of Frank Richtig...well, just fooling around with words.

• 1 month later...