I Forge Iron

What do you work on when you can not forge?

There is always something that needs attention around the house. Other than that, a bit of leather work, some finishing touches on my vintage CZ that I've been restoring for the past three years, play with the dogs, smoke a pipe and just relax.

IMG_20210331_151936607_HDR.jpg

When not forging, I have myriad things to do around the house, Flying, doing maintenance on the airplane so it's in top shape and I can go flying, ham radio, making antennae for ham radio, yard maintenance, bushhoging the pasture, mending fences, milling lumber from trees cut on the property, using said lumber for various projects, and I also have a full time job which almost pays enough to buy some coal from time to time.

Had a friend years ago that was into radios. He would tell me all about his antennas and stuff that he could talk to people on other planets they were so powerful, a lot of stuff over my head as i know nearly nothing of them. Anywho he got him a new antenna once and put it on the chimney of the house, just the chimney 25' up with out a pole to the ground. As he was trying to use his radio one day he heard a loud thud, followed by a thup, thup, thup. Yes it was his antenna and about 3' of his chimney rolling down the roof. 

Got my old 24 inch Yazoo high wheel commercial walk behind mower running. It is the one that does not have all the idiot proofing junk on it. Haven't started it since 2016 when undergoing chemo. Thought I would be too unsteady on my feet to chase it around.
It still does an honest days work and is akin to brush hogging, not much slows it down. It sure beats lifting weights to keep an old guy in shape. I mowed about an acre of rough ground with a lot of brush. Realized how soft I have become using the Cub Cadet zero turn all that time. The zero turn just doesn't do well on the slopes and rough ground. I'm planning on reclaiming another couple of acres in the coming days, that is if I can move tomorrow.:D

To get it running, I aired up the tires, pulled the spark plug and it looked like new. Then sprayed some WD-40 in the spark plug hole, turned the engine over several times and squirted oil in the hole and pulled the cord several more times. I figured after sitting all those years the rings could use a little lubrication. Checked the crankcase oil and it was fine. Filled the gas tank, replaced the spark plug and it started on the third pull of the starter cord. Hard to kill those Briggs & Stratton engines.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Saunders Memorial muzzle shoot at Luther Owens park. Connected with some old friends, made a couple of new ones. I was surprised to find some of my old friends were still with us. Also surprised to see many younger shooters, the firing line was busy and packed. Got to handle a pristine Charleville Continental musket from the revolutionary war. It sold for $1995 a little rich for me sigh.