I Forge Iron

M.J.Lampert's 2021 mountain outing

M.J.Lampert

this is where i will be posting pics of this years wrangler trip (for those who don't know a wrangler is the person incharge of the horses, in my case for a hunting outfitter)

i will also hopfully give some pics as i prepare for the trip

keep safe y'all and don't burn yourselves when I'm gone

M.J.Lampert

I look forward to pics. How long will you be wrangling? Is this individual hunts or several from a base camp, or? It's been a long time since I've been on a long ride. About week and a half was the longest, I think. Good times.

Be safe and stay on Chucky's good side!

The probably apocryphal story of when Packer was tried for murder and cannibalism that the judge said during sentencing, "There was seven dimycrats in Hinsdale County and you, you voracious man eating son of a b----, you ate five of them!

Also, the food service ate the University of Colorado student union is the Alferd J. Packer Grill.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

They also have Alferd Packer days with cheesy slogans like "Keep you eyes on your thighs" and "Now you have a friend in the dining business" (A take off on a Denver jeweler's slogan of "Now you have a friend in the diamond business."

There is a place near Douglas, WY named Maneater Creek where Packer was arrested.

I suppose "Alfred Packer" has already been taken for: meat markets, butcher shops, BQQ joints, etc. 

Might be a good time to visit, I like cheesy slogans and strange celebrations.

Frosty The Lucky.

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

I look forward to pics. How long will you be wrangling? Is this individual hunts or several from a base camp, or? It's been a long time since I've been on a long ride. About week and a half was the longest, I think. Good times.

Be safe and stay on Chucky's good side!

month and a half, 3 hunts moose and caribou as well as wolves this will be the longest trip i have been on (the last one was me and father for 2 weeks after bison ) PS I might end up being chucky for part of the time

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Going to bring along a copy of Alferd Griner Packer's Biography to read around the fire whilst you toy with a hatchet?

NO I might get kicked out of camp for that or at the least be allowed zero access to the axe/hatchet (I had to look that up and was surprised i was able to sleep after that)

10 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Alferd Packer, serving humanity since 1874.

ok that's quite funny in a very dark way

M.J.Lampert

MJ, actually a really good campfire read, to yourself or aloud, is the poetry of Robert Service, particularly his earlier Yukon gold rush works.  Some of it is humorous and some will touch your soul and some a bit of both.  I suggest a paperback edition rather than a download since it doesn't require any batteries or power.

Chucky is untouchable on a drive of any kind. A couple few years ago there was an edu TV series with episodes that "recreated" different times and situations in history, with volunteers living the history. The Donner party wasn't one. One episode was about a cattle drive and was pretty detailed. 

Of all the people who worked a drive the only one who wasn't a hired hand was Chucky. His responsibilities included but weren't limited to: 1. Get up early enough to have breakfast ready for a crew that would be up before first light while providing saddle food for the day and the night watch standers and keep a pot of coffee hot. 2. Clean up, pack, feed and hitch up his team and spares and be on the trail as soon as it was light enough to safely travel. 3 scout the trail, locate water, safe river crossings, etc. and decide on and mark the route the drovers would follow. 4 decide on and mark the night's camp, un-pack and begin dinner preparations. If he or one of the drovers bagged game dinner might be something excellent, otherwise food on a drive was known as, "gray food." Everything but biscuits and bacon was stewed unless it was fresh game which might be roasted over the fire. Eggs? In your dreams, typically the only egg was in the biscuits. A portable bean hole wasn't uncommon on chuck wagons where a carefully contained bed of coals kept a pot of beans simmering on the move.

The level of knowledge, skill and experience necessary to be Chucky meant he was the ONE person on a drive that could NOT be fired, he provided a contracted service and worked for the company that bid highest and offered the best conditions. Different trails cost different $, economizing for the cattle company was part of the job. 

Evidently there cases where a trail boss was fired on Chucky's say so. Chucky typically held hire and fire powers on a drive or wouldn't take the bid. Not only were you gambling getting fed by giving Chucky trouble, say complain about the food, you were gambling your job. 

Wrangling was also a pretty normal job for Chucky but it was often done be the lad learning to be Chucky or take over for Dad.

That was one of my favorite episodes and caused me to do some outside reading. Being Chucky was brutally hard work.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/24/2021 at 1:58 PM, Frosty said:

Chucky is untouchable on a drive of any kind.

Frosty The Lucky.

sorry i should have explained better at base camp there is a cook out at spike camps the guide and/or wrangler will do the cooking the wrangler at the least is stuck with dishes (we are usually blessed by the inventor of paper plates:D)

also yes on a drive I have herdB) of stories of what happened if someone decided to mess with chucky they would get some oil in the next meal, and runs for the next day. this was an effective safe guard as for a man on a horse getting off every time you need to let on rip (quite often with all the beans)and this would be a  simple waty for chucky to get revenge

not sure this could be an urban legend if so correct me

M.J.Lampert

on the other hand i am going to grab the few items i still need from the city

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.

Uh HUH. No, you didn't need to be more specific, I probably would've told the Chuck stories anyway. Chucky was also about as close to a doctor as most drives had. Keeping a bottle of Croton oil in the med box would've been the norm. So would Oil of Ipecac but uncontrolled vomiting wouldn't look so good for Chucky. Out of control squirts on the other hand is pretty unmistakable though. 

One scene from the cattle drive episode that struck me as a crazy easy going Chucky went something like this. The first Chucky got replaced for being grossly unqualified so another was contracted. The second or third meal one of the hands looks at the plate and without tasting says. "I see you found (other guy's name) cook book."

I don't think the new Chucky had been briefed adequately, he did NOT take the plate away and refuse to feed the hand, nor did he administer a dose of something shorts filling icky. If it had been a real drive in the day the cowhand would've either been off the payroll or Chucky's slave IF he wanted ANYTHING to eat from the chuck wagon. He wouldn't have even gotten scraps and any other hand who slipped him some food would've been in the same boat. 

I've stayed in: canneries, hatcheries, construction camps, etc. when I was a field guy and nobody but NOBODY was allowed in the kitchen nor gave the chef or his/er helper any guff. 

Bad chefs didn't last long though. We had one at NANA camp when I had a North Slope job who was just plain lousy cook. It didn't take long for management to notice the guys eating breakfast on his shift were eating cold cereal and making their own sandwiches for lunch. He couldn't even make doughnuts worth eating. He lasted less than a month and his replacement was outstanding.

If you asked for an omlet he'd ask if you wanted it fluffy or regular. His snack bar was always open and stocked to the gills. Seriously, you could have a hot roast beef sandwich with the fixings any time. Just because it was the dinner shift didn't mean he didn't run it.

I stopped in for a bedtime night snack and the doughnuts were just coming out of the fryer, the aroma was heavenly so I asked for a cake doughnut. He said it'd be few minutes for them to cool and I said "I'd like one right out of the fryer PLEASE." He'd just finished spreading the last basket full on the cooling rack and pointed the tongs at one and asked, "This do?"

I pointed at the ones floating in the fryer, "One of those please.":) He shrugs and as soon as they were done puts one still sizzling doughnut on my plate, I thank him and fill the center with soft serve ice cream and squirt some Hershey's on it. There I am sitting at one of the tables gingerly eating a doughnut that was still sizzling HOT slathered in ice cream and everybody walking in for snack, late dinner, breakfast any time, etc. stops and asks what I'm eating. 

The chef gave me crap for starting a craze till I found work elsewhere. 

If you get the chance try a cake doughnut straight out of the oil filled with soft serve. More toppings are overkill but what the hey.;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I've eaten at the cafeteria on the ALMA project in Chile, during the construction phase around 2010.  It's at the low site so only 9000' up, boy do I miss that cooking!   Especially the seafood!  (Chile is about 2700 miles long but only 110 miles wide so getting good seafood in the "interior" is NOT a problem! ) It was also the first time I had Avacado Toast for breakfast.

Now the names of the dishes had to be interpolated "Squid Suck Soup"  was my favorite name.   Good practice for eating at the factory cafeteria at my next job:  working for a US computer manufacturer at a Taiwanese multinational electronics contract manufacturer's assembly plant in Mexico.   So Mexican factory workers and lower management with Chinese middle management and Taiwanese upper management.  The cafeteria had a line for the managers with Mexican cooks, using Mexican ingrediants cooking Chinese dishes,---"Pollo General" anyone?

One of the Mexican restaurants in town makes a Menudo to die for. The other one makes some, if you eat it you may die.

When I was in basic training at the Police Academy the mess hall (cafeteria) was run by inmate trusties. At breakfast the main cook (a big gal) would ask how would you like your eggs? One day a recruit wise cracked, I would like them cooked. He spent the remaining 17 weeks of the 19 week course eating cold cereal. I learned in the USCG basic you don't make the cooks angry.