Watch later

20210806_171605.jpg

20210806_173151.jpg

20210807_100057.jpg

20210807_120651.jpg

20210807_123426.jpg

20210815_094105.jpg

20210815_133312.jpg

Its been a while since I have posted anything but here is the making of the tooling and a video of using it, the internal former was made from 1045 and heat treated to make it hard so the stainless steel work piece doesnt mark it and the external former was made from Bissalloy 400. The end cap was going to be made from 1.2mm thick 304 stainless but it was to heavy so I changed it to 0.9mm 304 but had to take up some clearance with paper to get rid of some wrinkles. The internal former was cut from a bar that was 130mm in dia and then I cut the sides off in the bandsaw then removed the corners progresivly smaller then finished up with the linisher to an oval shape then in the lathe as per photos.

8 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

What motorcycle are these being used on?

I am buliding my version of a Yamaha HL500 and its getting close to finished. My goal is to race it at the Burt Munro hill climb in Feburary next year and a good mate is going to race it in the street race of the Munro as well. I have made everything except the engine, wheels, and suspension. and seat/guards

20210621_170125.jpg

20210731_150339.jpg

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

define a motorcycle? 

Yes well I suppose those are some of the major bits but I have made the Fuel tank, chromalloy Frame, Aluminum Swing arm, Conrod, Titanium exhaust and alot of other things in the cylinder head and crank shaft have been modified alot. I have wanted to do this for over 12 years and have been making it for 5 years but have made the most progress over the last 18 months or so

I've been following your progress here and am impressed with the precision and detail work you've shown us. With all the components you've made the tools and equipment to make and include in the engine and suspension I was mostly commenting on you saying you didn't make them. I suppose you didn't make them from stock but you sure as heck modified them pretty extensively. 

Frosty The Lucky.