I Forge Iron

Almost done with stand for the 66lb happybuy

Stand is 5 pieces of walnut countertop (scrap leftover from a remodel) glued/bolted together.  We got the top true so the anvil sits doesn't rock, but the bottom is pretty jagged.  We lack the tools to plane it smooth, so planning on using 1/2" T nuts and feet designed to level pool tables, which should have the added bonus of allowing it to be more portable and sit evenly wherever it is.  Anyone have any experience with a similar set up?

Put wooden shims under it in the location you will be using it and when the face is where you want it add a couple of 2x6 pieces on the sides of the base touching the floor. "Locking in" the base/floor as you want it.

No; 4 points can rock; 3 points are stable.  I don't worry about that as I have a dirt floored shop and so I just thump it in place to get 100% contact.

1784191653_anvil_stumps(2).jpg.2db1dae0a53ae559d050b3f93c6d7818.jpg

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Put wooden shims under it in the location you will be using it and when the face is where you want it add a couple of 2x6 pieces on the sides of the base touching the floor. "Locking in" the base/floor as you want it.

There's the rub.  It's a mixed use shop, and things get moved around a lot.  It won't always be in the the same spot, so I can't shim it for a particular location.

A thing can rock between two points with a pebble under one if it has 4 feet. 

It doesn't take much height, just enough it's resting on 3 points. You could probably get away with 3 thick washers and counter sunk screws. Or gluing thin 1" sq hardwood bits in 3 spots. Screw down 3 bottle caps then fill them with lead, a couple wheel weights should do it. If the feet are very thin you might have to sweep the floor to make it steady. 

I welded up steel tripods for mine and they work anywhere.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Could you not get some aggressive disks and use that sander on the floor to plane it down level? 

Started out doing that, but quickly found that I was just chasing high spots and it would only be level for the one area of floor I was working on.  Its going to be moving around quite a bit, so I'll need something that will be solid anywhere it goes.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

A thing can rock between two points with a pebble under one if it has 4 feet. 

It doesn't take much height, just enough it's resting on 3 points. You could probably get away with 3 thick washers and counter sunk screws. Or gluing thin 1" sq hardwood bits in 3 spots. Screw down 3 bottle caps then fill them with lead, a couple wheel weights should do it. If the feet are very thin you might have to sweep the floor to make it steady. 

I welded up steel tripods for mine and they work anywhere.

Frosty The Lucky.

Right... can't believe I didn't think of a 3-pointed base.  I used to discuss their merits in regards to telescopes on a regular basis when I helped with astronomy programs.  T-nuts and feet are already ordered, but I think I'll just put 3 on.  

Thanks for the input everyone.  Much appreciated.