I Forge Iron

New Member.

David Mchone

New to the Forum and wanted to introduce myself. Started a few years ago.. had a heart attack and now that I have a permanent residence (wife and I bought our first home a few years ago) I’m able to set up a “true” shop..

and as a side note my location is in my profile.

Cheers 

Frosty, Ornamental, tools and the stuff from the Mastermyr dig including the tool chest.  Currently designing a mailbox and stand for myself and my twin. 

IronDragon and Twisted, thanks. 

Edited by David Mchone
Addition of names

I believe that Thomas made a replica of the  Mastermyr chest and at least some of the tools some years ago.  He may be able to comment on how well the tools worked for him.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in Wyoming.

I've only been in FL a couple of times but from what my wife tells me (originally from Plant City and Lakeland) I don't think I'd want to be doing hot work there during much of the year.  Good luck and stay hydrated with enough electrolytes.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

David: Ornamental, tools and historic reproductions is a good project list to learn the craft. Thomas Powers did make a reproduction of Mastermyr chest and tools, I'm sure he'll jump in when he notices the thread. I would not be surprised at the depth of research he did to make his reproduction his casual reading is like normal folks masters degree reading list.

I always thought it would be fun to make a Mastermyr reproduction starting with the stake anvil and the most (in my opinion) universal hammer and forge the rest. Boot strap the find so to speak. Then use it as a camp fire smithing kit.

I used to do the bulk of my smithing, killing time around the fire after work on field jobs. I didn't know about the Mastermyr find or I might've made it a camp fire project. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

One of the reasons I think that the Mastermyr chest was not originally intended to be a tool chest but was "repurposed". 

The Mästermyr Find: A Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland; Astragal Press is a great resource on the chest and it's contents. Darrell Markewitz of the Wareham Forge, www.warehamforge.ca/ is a great resource on museum level viking era reproductions!!!

Part of making reproductions is to decide at what level they will be at(Everything forged from bloomery iron? Or will your lund spit be sized for modern fowl; so the functionality is preserved?).  Personally I'm moving away from "cookie cutter" replicas and work to make things functional for today.  I am also slowly working to replace all my viking era replicas with real wrought iron ones; a few with bloomery iron I have worked to smelt from ore with a shorft stack scandanavian bloomery.