I Forge Iron

Need help to identify this legless post vise

KentMat

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and look for help to identify this legless post vise (?) offered to me. The vise is about 50cm long, and opening at 10cm. Marked England. I have tried but couldn’t find any info on this. Maybe someone can help. Is it a legless post vise? or what is its name?suggestion about value also welcomed. Is US$ 200 too much for it? The vise looks quality. Many thanks in advance.

A26D15DF-45BD-4EFE-948F-D6B8C2CD70DC.jpeg

82273593-8DE5-4A1A-B0AE-35065EF19AD8.png

E8772AFF-A94D-4031-A499-1BB2F6742A0D.png

EF9AC943-7061-4E5F-B2CF-C793ABBE179C.jpeg

49FD7238-9E42-4928-A2CF-94F85658598D.jpeg

0C3ADCC8-CCC4-4F03-A40E-45782C30BA87.jpeg

The company is still in business today under the Vaughn name, they sell anvils vises, swage blocks and all kinds of other tools and equipment.
their newer vises are a different design than yours,

but you may be able to contact them an see if they still have any information, drawings, measurements or pictures on that style vise and what the leg looked like. 

Your very welcome, I hope they can help you, enjoy your new tool! 

before you get a warning though from the mods you might edit that quote out since it was the post right before yours, it helps keep the bandwidth down, 

also you might edit your profile to show your location that way others can see where you is!
And maybe you can meet up with other smiths in your area! 

Shouldn’t be hard to figure out what thread it takes if your not able to get information from the company,

you can always pack it into the local hardware store and start trying bolt and pipe threads until you zero in On what threads in.

Then buy the die and find some stock, lock that dude down in a pipe vise and thread it! 

But Thomas idea is a lot easier and faster if you don’t already have some threading tools or a vise that can hold round stock. 

another option is to find someone in your area who already has the tools and wouldn’t mind helping you in trade for some Colorado coolaid! 

I sent an email to the company. They replied but the sale assistant said they don't sell a leg separately but only the whole unit. She did sent me the sizes and information about the leg vice they can supply but it is a 6'' vice. I requested the sizes of my 4'' leg vice but they haven't replied, so I think I would need to figure it out by myself. 

That’s a bummer, I knew they had a different design now days but I was hoping they would still have some records of their older style or maybe even some design drawings that could help you,  

You can get a three way thread gauge online pretty cheap, I just did a little searching an found one that does metric, US standard and British whitworth standard threads, 

after that maybe check pipe thread? I wouldn’t think it would be an acme thread or American standard,

being an English made brooks vise I’m guessing that It’s either gonna be metric or Standard whitworth, 

I’ll be interested to hear what you find out, because I searched brooks vises ifi an I found a couple of old post were people had the same problem of missing a leg but I couldn’t find what anyone ever found out about the thread type, so this will be good information for everyone to know in the future, 

• 3 months later...

Приветствую вас! Есть ли у кого более подробная информация по немецким тискам? На моих есть только цифра «37», что она может означать? Спасибо!

Welcome! Does anyone have more information on the German vice? On mine there is only the number "37", what can it mean? Thank you!

416E1036-EF61-4AB7-8D8C-7E7EE6DA3B49.jpeg

1DAF076B-64F1-49E1-9486-8B35009D142D.jpeg

B969D68C-544F-434D-895C-2352586E30A9.jpeg

3115AA1B-FC95-4EAC-8F95-1DC9E7684585.jpeg

I believe it is a john Brooks leg vise.  I believe on line used to sell them back in the 70's and 80's.  I have one (it's marked "JHB") and there is one in the silversmith shop at Colonial Williamsburg.....with the leg at the right height for my use and obviously they found a leg length that works for them.  They were sold with a jam nut to put on the leg and tighten it to make it more solid. They show one and discuss it on line as Brooks leg vise.

Judging by the curls that are on the bracket, they are German-made, they are also called Styrian, this is the distinctive feature of the German vise. I would like to know which company could produce them, in what years.

A39F8A1C-BDFB-43F5-BEAA-0FD710C2C169.png

1 час назад Томас Пауэрс сказал:

Конечно, скобки могут быть неоригинальны для произведения. Я сделал более нескольких скобок, используя колумбийский стиль тиски, и использовал их на неколумбийских тизах.

Hi Thomas! It is possible that the brackets could not be original, but there is another detail that indicates that this is a German vise-these are the stops on the movable jaw that, when compressed, go along the plates, which gives a more stable position when working!The link has a description of these vises, but there is no information about the years of their manufacture.

https://www.anvilfire.com/vises/af_vises_008.php

A7A255E8-3080-463A-81C4-286A171AA979.png