I Forge Iron

can pliers be used in the place of crucible tongs?

If you are thinking of using pliers, you must be talking about small crucibles. I don't know how your furnace is set up (top access or side, like most forges) but you may be able to make your own tongs. Crucible tongs should SUPPORT the crucible, not grab it. You might start with an old pair of pliers and weld curved pieces of flat bar to the jaws that will fit mostly around the crucible, but will meet near the hinge before applying any pressure to the crucible. 

That said, if you aren't SURE of your skills to build something like that, listen to JHCC. Even with all protective gear, molten metal can be dangerous. 

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this video, with basic tools you can make a set of tongs. Same set I've been using since I started, and they've not let me down. I have progressed from bolted to welded, added some steel bar for extended handles, other than that mine are exactly as the video shows. The video gives very good instructions for creating the tools.