I Forge Iron

Now are you talking about a masonry forge or just a solid fuel forge with firebricks lining the fire area?

I only got 178 hits when I did a browser search on masonry forge plans site:iforgeiron.com

Have you read "READ THIS FIRST" that covers how to do effective searches on IFI?

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Now are you talking about a masonry forge or just a solid fuel forge with firebricks lining the fire area?

Hi there, ThomasPowers. 
It’s a masonry, brick/coal forge I’m planning to build. I’ve read the “READ THIS FIRST “ but not until after I’d posted my inquiry. New to the site like. 
I’ve just got a lock-up and I’m after rattling a forge straight in. The lock up has a low roof and I don’t know the minimum PA for chimney draft/ height of stack. I’m trying to save a bit making my own bricks but thinking it’s probably a false economy. I’m going to have to buy a book 

If you are new to blacksmithing, may I suggest building a JABOD just a box of dirt forge first to get the feel of the forge and how much head room you will need for swinging a hammer.  From there you can figure out the size of the forge you will need for the work you intend to do.  

Depending on the size of the lockup, and the lengths of metal stock you are planning to use, will tell you where to place the forge.  You do not want to build a masonry forge weighing several hundred pounds only to find it is not in the right place.

Also a JABOD doesn't have to be built out of wood. Any scrap metal you have will do as Charles and others have pointed out in a couple of his threads. An old BBQ, wash tub, cut down 55 gal drum, old lawn mower deck, the possibilities are endless just something to hold the dirt.

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

If you are new to blacksmithing, may I suggest building a JABOD just a box of dirt forge first to get the feel of the forge and how much head room you will need for swinging a hammer.  From there you can figure out the size of the forge you will need for the work you intend to do.  

Depending on the size of the lockup, and the lengths of metal stock you are planning to use, will tell you where to place the forge.  You do not want to build a masonry forge weighing several hundred pounds only to find it is not in the right place.

That’s great advice thank you Glenn, what a leg end

2 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Also a JABOD doesn't have to be built out of wood. Any scrap metal you have will do as Charles and others have pointed out in a couple of his threads. An old BBQ, wash tub, cut down 55 gal drum, old lawn mower deck, the possibilities are endless just something to hold the dirt.

Been looking into a JABOD, definitely the way forward thanks guys. I’ll keep you posted