I Forge Iron

Some questions about making my first JABOD

Hello folks,

Since the pandemic i've saved myself some time to dig into blacksmithing but can't really seem to find the local community from where I live so I just wondering what's the differences using straight digged up dirt outside/clay/clay and sand mix for the JABOD  and do I really need power tools to start? I intend to use mainly charcoal for fuel then I saw a post about charcoal doesn't really like trench so should I just make a small hole instead in my 15''x24'' JABOD? Maybe some simple tips for headstart too? May sound a litle bit absurb but It'd be great to have some guidance and insight .

Thanks in advance and stay safe folks. 

Not to worry. We don't mind people who ask questions; we just mind people who don't do some reading first and who respond poorly to disappointing answers. Have you read the "READ THIS FIRST" tab at the top of the page?

And welcome!!

So first off if you came across the concept of a JABOD forge from YouTube or another source know that our own John coined the craze in reference to a Just A Box Of Dirt forge. 
plain mineral soil works just fine, generally unless it’s loose sand it will be fine. As to design, a tuyere with a 3/4. To one inch ID works well place it about 4-5” below the hearth ( the ground serface) in the side of a 4” wide trench sloping from 0 to about 12” long. Then mound up walls  on each side of the trench about 4-6” high. The design allows you to put the stock into the heart of the fire (hearth night) and mound fuel up on top. 
This isn’t nesisary with coal as fire spread Isn’t that much of an issue, and you can just bank up the fuel. Not so with charcoal. Note some kind of air regulation is nesisary as even a hair drier puts out to strong a blast for charcoal. 
note I regularly melt red and hard fire brick. 

58AB281B-8102-4715-A68E-DF54864722AF.jpeg

A7C87EE4-CECD-4465-BCF4-DBA879CE5C5D.jpeg

0FBED328-1C7C-4B3E-8EEC-7CF3693D9456.jpeg

5D0A0FAB-E49C-46DC-A257-C48E3BF7FFB5.jpeg

37B7971C-FC02-4FC3-9E37-04458128C551.jpeg

Great, upside down images

Welcome aboard Justkai, glad to have you. The type forge you're asking about, not just the JABOD but the trench forge in general is as old as humans have heated metal to hammer on it. The JABOD is a modification to allow a person to move the forge easily. Set it on a stand so you don't have to bend over or sit down to use it. When done for the day you can empty the dirt into buckets and carry it easily to store out of the weather. 

If you're young and flexible digging a trench in the ground and placing a piece of steel pipe let into one side for the air blast and something to provide the air is all you need to get started forging. 

Hopefully someone has a link or two of "ground" forges and bellows being used by professional blacksmiths regularly in the 3rd. world. The design hasn't changed in thousands of years.

Seriously, we're glad to see you posting, we love helping folks get started in the craft. It's why many of us are here.

Frosty The Lucky.

I really appreciate for all the replies and informations. Since English is not my first tongue and there isn't any really big, active community here to talk about forging so researching can be quite difficult to be honest but this forum is a goldmine with wonderful peoples!

I still have a long way to go and surely gon' learn a lot on here.

Thanks again!

Edit: Almost broke my neck while inspecting Charles's pics.