Giant Springs and Sash Weights

SinDoc

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny you should say that. 5-6 hours ago I got up to pour another cup of coffee and Damascus the downstairs old cat pulled one of her regular cat stunts. (walk directly in front of you or cross your path and stop) She slipped out from behind Deb's side table, stopped and I stepped on her.

I don't know which tripped the alarms first, the cat shriek or the feeling of teeth penetrating my big toe, top and bottom. Her cat reflexes beat out my old dude cat-like reflexes so she didn't get ANOTHER demonstration of how the catapult got it's name. 

What she was doing in her oh so cat-subtle hint-ness was "reminding" me it was time (ALWAYS) for her morning dollop of canned cat food. Funny how a reminder can make you forget about "it" completely if done wrong. She ended up waiting quite a while while I peroxided, Neosporin anointed and bandaged 3 bleeding holes in my big toe. I mean, REALLY bleeding, two were literally dripping while #3 was just growing a goodish bead of blood a couple times a minute. 

On the up side, she hasn't gotten close to me while I'm walking since. 

Frosty The Lucky.

She tried making up several times yesterday and put some new claw holes in my knee and both arms. Cat bites frighten me, their tongues are like microbe cities. The scratches aren't much if any better. 

I peroxided the (she only chomped me once but made 3 holes, is that bite or bites?:huh:) holes and have had Neosporin and bandages on them all day yesterday. I'm leaving them open to air today, no red, no tender, all's well. :)

You can put away the cautery irons Thomas but thanks for the thought.

Frosty The Lucky.

My wife's friend spent nearly a month in the hospital earlier this year after her cat bit her and it quite quickly turned into sepsis. Had her hooked up to all kinds of things pumping her full of stuff. Every now and then I see an article about a person who suffered a minor cat bite or scratch and all of sudden didn't feel well, passed out then woke up in the hospital weeks later missing a limb.

I hear you, cat scratches and bites scare me. I really cleaned and  doctored my toe, changed dressings 3 times a day and was always touching the wounds to feel for tenderness. 

I've had cellulitis. It started when I dropped something on my foot and one toenail scratched the neighbor toe. It was tender in my boot half an hour later and within an hour I had to take my boot off. I had red streaks on my foot and ankle, within about 20 minutes I was running a fever and on the way to ER with a swelling red leg. 

It was good for 2 1/2 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow; I didn't have any problem with my "junkyard dog bite". We washed the wound with Hydrogen peroxide onsite and did it again after I got home and washed it with soap and water and then applied a triple antibiotic cream to it and taped gauze pads over it.  Now it just looks like one of the creases in my palm.

I get cat scratches fairly often on my legs as they like to climb up in my lap and they are much more likely to get red and puffy.  Remember how cats go to the bathroom!

Considering how cats dig and bury their poop, claws to me are close to being lethal for starting infections!  Some things the outside cats eat make their teeth about the same.  When I got cat scratches from our cats, I treated them with the medical barrage.  Hoping for fast healing, Frosty.

I have a dozen+ old soldering coppers that we could heat and use as cauteries....As I've told lots of people who have asked me if I would like to live in earlier times: "If I were alive back then; I'd be dead!"  (Multiple times where "modern" medicine has saved my groats over the years!)

I've never had a problem with a dog bite and I've gotten a couple. Basic good first aid did just fine. Cat scratches always seem to get red and take a couple few days to heal. I'm thinking being scratched by cats since babyhood, I used to hear stories about Rocky the house cat having to scratch me to make me let go of him. I'm thinking I have a pretty strong immune response towards cat poop.

Peroxide till it stops fizzing and Neosporin 2-3 times a day for a couple days. Isn't overkill in my book. Cat's are dirty animals, lovable but dirty.

Frosty The Lucky.

When we brought my youngest daughter home from the hospital after being born; our cat tried to assert dominance over the "newcomer".  It was explicitly explained to the cat that the new member of the household out ranked the cat by *lightyears*!  No more trouble after that.

My leg issues are due to our aging cat liking to hop up on the footrest and then walk up my legs to my lap to inquire about "Kitty Foods" time and during the summer I may not be wearing bluejeans as "protection".

According to family stories Rocky was very protective of me and slept in my crib. It was when I was ankle biter size I started getting pretty rough and Rocky had to get me to let go. My folks were big on letting me figure things out on my own so if Rocky scratched me I got a swat and corner time. It worked too, I haven't dragged a cat around by one leg in I don't remember how long.:)

We have to be careful not to let small kids pet the dachshunds, kids move too fast and can be too rough. A dackel just moves too fast to stop a bite if they feel threatened enough to snap, so we keep them separate. Even the insanely friendly Ronnie, the 3 yro is becoming leery of little kids and doesn't approach them anymore. 

Same here Damascus is 13 and I'm her main person so I'm the one she pesters when it's time for her daily dose of canned food. Both cats get kibble but Damascus needs a little more to keep her up to healthy weight. She's discovered if she walks across my legs crossways she gets my attention or she'll stand on my knee and interfere while I'm typing. ANY slip and out come the traction aides and jeans aren't enough, better than bare hide but she still gets me.

Frosty The Lucky.

I thought I posted this response already but upon review of the thread I didn't see it so here goes. Sash weights are good as wrights for chain hold downs if you don't like using a stirrup to keep the tension on the chain.

Pnut

My family was always bewildered that I am not terrified of dogs. When I was little, we apparently had a Doberman named Lady. According to the parents, we were best buds and while they tried to stop me from doing it, I would "ride" her around sometimes. Well apparently when I went to climb onto her one time, I must have grabbed something she didn't like or was tender as she turned around and bit me square in the top of my head. 

Needless to say, even though she instantly let go, she still bit the baby. By the time mom had rushed over, grabbed me and got me in the car and left for the hospital, dad had already put her down. According to them, it was really surprising she did it because she was such a gentle and loving dog but nevertheless, she bit the baby and that couldn't be tolerated. I obviously have no recollection of the event as I was like 2, but still have about a 2 1/2 inch scar along the top left of my forehead from it. Parents thought I would be terrified of dogs after that, but they got Collies a few years later and I grew up with them without any problems whatsoever.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, Frosty said:

You can put away the cautery irons Thomas but thanks for the thought.

My grandfather had a web of faded scars all over the top of his head, from when he was about four or five and got jumped by a pack of sled dogs. One of the village men had stayed home that day to attend to his laboring wife, heard the noise, and came to beat the team off him (otherwise I wouldn't be here). My great-grandfather (who had wisely gotten medical training along with his clerical training before embarking on his missionary work) put him out with chloroform and cauterized all the wounds with a hot poker. According to my great-grandfather's memoirs, the last thing "the brave little lad" said before he went under was "Oh, this world!"

my sister was attacked by the neighbor's german shepard when she was around 4 yrs old.. i saw it happen and ran for help.. i was 8 ..  the dog was old and they thought she probably hurt him when she climbed on him .. he was not a mean dog..    she loves german shepherd and has had them for yrs..  lol!! doesn't remember a thing..   i on the other hand can

can't  stand to be around them..   i am always uneasy when i see her with the dogs to this day...  i know it is illogical..  i will not let her bring them when she visits.. 

i love dogs.. just not german shepard's..  

We had an old mutt that had chased cars and unfortunately caught a few over the years and as she got older and had more issues like arthritis; she used to snap at people bothering her.  It got to be that I was the designated dog mover for her as she didn't snap at me as much and with her worn down teeth seldom would draw blood when she did.  She finally caught her last vehicle, a milk truck; the driver was quite upset but we assured him that she went out the way she would have wanted.  She's buried under a wild dogwood tree out back of one of our houses in NJ.

I spent a lot of years as a swimming pool repairman in the 80s & 90s. I met thousands of dogs and was only bit once. 

80% of dogs are nice and 90% of mean dogs are just bluster and blowhards. It takes a bit of practice to spot one of the real mean ones but they are rare. 

I found I could go in just about every yard unaccompanied if you treat the dog like a buddy and dont show any fear at all.

Only dog that makes me squirm is a Saint Bernard. Such a large dog and I have come across probably more mean ones than nice ones. Had a neighbor a few houses down years and years ago with two of them, a male and female. When they moved in and came around meeting everyone, he flat out said if we see the male running around outside their fence, don't hesitate to put him down because he was very mean to anyone not them and they would rather lose the dog than someone get hurt, especially a kid. The female was super lovable though.

I am extremely partial to Collies. Grew up with 4 of them and I don't think I have ever come across a mean one, defensive and protective of their family, but never outright mean.

I found the bigger dogs to be more calm and friendly. The little ones can be nervous but you never know. 

I had a huge Rottweiler pin me in the corner of a wall as I was on my knees changing a pump motor behind a big filter.  He must have weighed 150 pounds and I was totally defenseless as he had his way with me!  

It was all good as he was just a big playful puppy but it certainly left an impression on me :-) 

I have not had the pleasure if interacting much with (as the wife calls them) Rotties. They are not a very popular breed, at least around here. Here the go to seems to be a mixture of Labs, German Shepherds and Boxers. 

German Shepherds are my favorite breed, but I like any (well trained) dog. Newfoundlands are nice too if you want to own a small bear and don't mind slobber. My brother has an Irish Setter who, while very cute, is categorically insane. So, much to his chagrin, I call her mutt. I told him I will call her by her name when she can be good... I fear the day might never come.