I Forge Iron

lift and place roof trusses without crane.

angiolino

hello, sorry for the unusual and odd question, I should close a terrace a flat concrete floor, to eliminate water infiltration when it rains, to overcome this inconvenience we had thought of installing a metal roof, or pillars in the H beam and metal trusses. the truss would have a span of 14 meters, the surface to be covered is about 240 square meters, the attic is on the second floor at about 12 meters above the street level. for logistical reasons, we would like to avoid using a truck crane or forklift, I was wondering, is there a self-erecting solution such as stage for concerts or circus structures, with structure pulleys, winches and hoists, a do-it-yourself solution using waste material, such as scaffolding reinforced similar, thanks to those who want to provide more information. thanks for your kind attention.

copertura ad una falda.jpg

schizzo 2.jpg

schizzo.jpg

schizzo 3.jpg

You could take a look at the “what did you do in the shop today” thread. DennisCA just raised the large wood beams for his shop alone using simple tools. It may give you some ideas.

Also, I’m really confused by your sketches above. Are they supposed to be different views or different concepts?

David

I'm not a construction person or engineer but the only way I could see erecting something like this without a crane or large lift is to assemble each truss on the ground horizontally and then pivot the assembly up to vertical.  Then you still have the issue of hoisting and attaching the horizontal members between the trusses.  Also, you are dealing with heavy weights.  I guess the trusses would be at least 1000 kg..  So, you would have to have lots of temporary bracing and the safety considerations would be extensive.

Just my layman's thoughts.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Good to see you again Angiolino!

While you could rent and build scaffolding to set the trusses it'd be a lot of work tearing them down and erecting them again to move. If you get all your trusses on location and ready to go up renting a scissor lift is the way to go. 

Scissor lifts are mobile and self powered with controls on the lift platform. You and a friend can set a truss on the platform, lift it and maneuver it into position, bolt it down and go back for the next one.  A scissor lift works much better than a fork lift for this kind of work, this is what scissor lifts were designed to do. 

Two guys and air wrenches could have your trusses up and bolted down in no more than 2 hours. Easy. 

Doing it by hand is just brute strength. As George suggests, lift one end over the horizontal beam on the low end and push it up sliding it on the beam until it balances and the guy walking the walls can pull it down. The major problem with this method is when the truss over balances and comes down on it's own the end is only half way to the far beam so you end up holding it up with poles. This is a minimum  4 STRONG man method, 6 or more STRONG men would be a lot safer and the guys walking the walls are awfully far off the concrete slab if one falls.

David: Angiolino's drawings are not done by a draftsman and are missing a lot of necessary measurements. They work for Angiolino because he already knows what it's supposed to look like and the measurements are the ones important to him.

I believe there are two building types shown, the top drawing is a shed roof cover. The series below is of a gable roof cover, I think two versions. That's okay, he's not asking us what to build, he needs ideas for doing the heavy lifting. 

I hate to tell you this Angiolino, I know how much you like to avoid powered equipment but this just isn't a good place to do it by hand. If you must do it by hand have lots of strong men who aren't afraid of heights and have GOOD INSURANCE, somebody could easily end up in the hospital.

When you decide which building plan you want to use we'll be able to make better suggestions.

Frosty The Lucky.

The 2.8 m is 9 feet in height.  The beams or trusses are going to be heavy and awkward to handle.  Give it your best guess as to the weight of each beam or truss and then double it or more.  Calculate the lever arm of the truss when you try to rotate it to vertical.  That will be a large number of pounds to deal with.

The structure will have to be braced and cross braced so it is stable to work with and or pull upon.  Otherwise the structure will be twisted or pulled over.

Find out what a mechanical lift or crane will cost.  It may be reasonable to rent for a day.

the shed I would like to make it with a pitch as in the side sketch, climb the beams, cut them, weld them and put them in place and move forward, the truck would cost about 800 € uro per day. the reticular structure, if I make a pitch I could make inclined portals and above it fix the beams on which to screw the roof panels, momentarily I would like to make only the roof without lateral infill.

ps

DennisCA

you could be kind enough to attach some photos and explain to me how you did the job, thank you excuse me if I'm picky and boring, thanks again.

copertura ad una falda.jpg

mini gru telescopica manuale.png

schizzo 2.jpg

schizzo.jpg

gruetta telescopica manuale.png

Angiolino, do you have any building codes in Italy with which you would have to comply?  If they are like those in the US they may govern how structural elements are connected but not how to get them in place to make the connection.  Also, you may have to have any welds inspected or done by a certified or licensed welder.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

but I was a metalworker, I manage to weld, instead of building the trusses in the workshop or construction site and putting them in place on site, I would like to bring the bars on site and segment them and put them in place as I proceed with the work.

were you referring to the master plan at the technical office I think?