I Forge Iron

Vise info needed

AmericanMadeBlade

Hey all, I am looking for some info please. I am going to look at this vise on Saturday. I'm told this is a 5 1/2" jaw. He says the vise is functioning but I am wondering if it is missing the box? That the threads go into or were there some earlier vises designed like this and the threads are actually in the screw "eye". Any info you can give me would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

Screenshot_20210728-173007_QuickPic.jpg

TPAAAT? not familiar. I'm in central Oregon so most everything I see here is way overpriced. Lol. If I was on the east coast I guess it would be different, it is what it is. Of course when looking on eBay it's 500 shipped for most anything so it's always a challenge. I guess I will keep looking. I have been making knives for years (stock removal) but finally decided to approach the forging angle and recently finished my first Damascus billet. Seems like a vise will come in handy for sure. 

TPAAAT = Thomas Powers Applied Anvil Acquisition Technique. In a nutshell, tell every single person you come into contact with what you’re looking for and ask if they know of any such available. 

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/268-tpaaat-applied-anvil-acquisition-technique/

The internet is the worst place to look for blacksmithing tools. I learned that the hard way years ago. One of the best methods for locating stuff is to talk to members of your local blacksmith club. Seems to me the NWBA is in your area.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/212-northwest-blacksmith-association/

It's  like buying a used car; that one has been in a major crash and was "repaired" by a shade tree mechanic using parts that are not OEM.  Possibly they don't realize that, possibly they are trying to scam you.  That is a known fix; but we can't tell how well they did it.

I picked up a broken base screw jack last Saturday; just to have on hand if I ever needed to try that fix.  I may sell it on at Quad-State as I find enough vises with good screws/screwboxes that the only ones damaged enough to need that repair; I've bought at scrap rate, 20 USCents a pound. (And here in tool poor NM; I bought and sold 5 postvises in the last year.)

Thanks Thomas, I guess this one would have a branded title. I'm just starting to acquire the tools I need so this should fun. I'm sure I'll be spending more time on the forum. I bought a 300lb Fisher about 8 years ago and that was a pretty good score but I had a lot of back and forth with the owner of the Fisher museum in New Jersey before committing to buy.... Looks like a lot more research on vises is in order for sure. 

As to that; I married with care and chose a lady who also had a "craft" they were passionate about---and a different one than mine!  While the budget is lower for my stuff; she well understands why "another anvil" is an absolute necessity just as I understand that you can't have too many spinning wheels!  And not sharing the same craft means there is never any tool contention when we are both working at our crafts!  We've been married for 37 years as of next week so I think my cunning plan worked!

Smart . Congratulations. It's 15 years for us next month. Another anvil? Lol. My wife told me 10 years ago when I started making knives and bought my first grinder, she said "I'm not a dream killer" and she hasn't been, I have 3 grinders now, lol. She paints but not enough and she says she would  like to do leather working and make sheaths so that would be nice, maybe I'd make more hunting knives if she did. I wouldn't have made it this far in knifemaking without her encouragement, that's for sure. She went with me when I did my first show 2 years ago and when I sold a total of 16 knives I think she was shocked, lol, I know I was. I currently have a knife in Blade Magazines "Knives 2021", I think in her eyes that means I've made it. Funny thing is it's an older knife and not my current work. Go figure. Lol. I'll keep at it until I get to the level I want to be at, hopefully I have enough years left because I didn't start until 46 and I've been at it 10 years now. Hoping to acquire all the equipment I need before retirement and then buy a place where I can have a power hammer.

What kind of stuff do you make? 

AmericanMadeBlade,

I’m a little bit late to the conversation but I thought I’d say I just bought two complete post vises in good shape and not missing parts here in eastern Oklahoma for the same price that guy was asking,

bide your time and keep searching because for that kinda money you can get something nice and in good shape it just might take a little while to find 

AMB; I tell folks that I do everything but horses!   And it's mostly true.  Mostly hand work while waiting for power for the powerhammers and belt grinder and drillpress...and a FAN and LIGHTS!  I got into smithing 40 years ago as I wanted to do pattern welded blades and I still do some of them; but a lot more ornamental and historical stuff lately.

Lol. Nice. I love that stuff. I have zero experience blacksmithing but it's always been intriguing to me. I have a blown forge and my anvil but didn't want to get ahead of myself as far as learning a new skill set... I wanted to be able to make a knife before moving on, now it's finally time to pursue the bladesmithing side of things. Should be fun!