I Forge Iron

Fleshing knives

Chad J.

My boss asked me about making a fleshing knife for him.   He's looking for a one handed blade.   So far all I've been able to find here is a couple vague references and no pictures.   I've learned that they tend not to be sharp, blade has a chisel grind and a 45 degree bevel, and they are curved.   I'm looking at maybe an ulu style blade with that bevel or a heavily curved blade about 6 inches long.  I am here,  hat in hand, asking for further advice on the design and about aspects of these blades that I don't know.   If I go with an ulu would I keep it thick or thin it out to normal parameters?  Any advice is appreciated.

The drawback to that is he's still new at the skill and is unsure of what he wants.   I may start him with an ulu since it does give good control and is used in such a role traditionally.   I'll go with the 45 degree chisel grind.   Been looking for a reason to make one anyway 

Sure. In that case do the design that makes best sense to you. I once scraped down a deer hide with a rig axe (some might refer to it as a hammer head hatchet). I think the idea of the curve is so a corner doesn't dig into the hide and tear it. I used a log that was normally used as a seat by the camp fire. That way the hide was curved rather than the blade. It made for a convenient place to throw the scraps as well (the fire). 

He needs to be aware that skinning and defleshing hides of different species is very different.  Generally, the larger the animal the tougher the hide.  The toughest and thickest I have ever done is a buffalo and that was a job.  Also, that big and thick a hide is very heavy.  I've never done a cow or horse but they could be formidable too.

I suspect that a defleshing knife for a large animal would ideally be longer and have a shallower curve than one for a smaller critter.  Just speculating.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

You need more specific quidance from boss. The term fleshing knife is vague and scary..A trapper uses a scraper to remove flesh from hides .  After the hides off a trapper will seldom take a sharp blade to the flesh side.. Too much risk of slipping and cutting the hide..  that can reduce sale price.  Just an online search for Pelt scrapers with show you the many variations of tools trappers use to remove flesh.  Check out various trapper supply stores for better idea of what trappers/hiders typically use.. My personal favorite for smaller animals  is a spoon with any sharp edges removed.  

Edited by Mod30
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

I made a good one from a mower blade. The most common one is made by necker. It’s curved sharp on the curved front it slices the back is almost square maybe a 10 degree angle. That’s your scraper for coon fat fox and cats.  The slicer on the front is great for deer hides and coon shoulders.  

• 1 year later...

My daughter wants me to make her something she says is a wahintke. I don’t have access to elk antlers and deer antlers would be too small. I figure I will use bois d’arc instead, because it is almost like a weed around here. 

I figure I will bevel the blade as it is in the attached photo. Is the edge sharp at all?

68E711C2-D658-49D8-ABDE-9E54E0F77394.png