I Forge Iron

Pressing a 1" circle into 1/4" flat stock

Adriaan Gerber

I've been trying to use my 20 ton press to press a 1" circle into 1/4" flat stock. I managed a few, but the die deforms too quickly. Is this just a difficult task for a press or are there ways to make this work better? Attached is a picture of what I'm making. Thanks, all.20210721_144439.thumb.jpg.8155dcbd12305a1e736bbe847f7d7b4f.jpg

Can you provide a sketch of the final part and a picture of your current tooling? That may clear up a lot of questions. Also, what material are you using for the tooling? To me it looks like you are trying to do too much in one operation, but I’m not sure what the final part is meant to look like.

David

1 hour ago, Adriaan Gerber said:

I just want to press a 1" circle about 1/8" deep into it.

Okay, so NOT punch a hole all the way through, but to forge the circular recess?

Can you give us a picture of the tooling, so that we can see how it's deforming?

If that is a problem you need to make your tooling from an alloy that stays hard even when hot; like S-7 or H-13 both of which have heat treats doable by blacksmiths and both stay hard quite hot!  (The draw temp for tempering is in the glowing range!)

Press tend to have long contact under pressure on the hot workpiece and so profit from high alloy tooling.

Its a pretty complex piece. There are 6 depressions around the perimeter. There are twp straight lines. And it looks lime there is a raised round deal in the very center. Are all these details going to be in your finished piece?