I Forge Iron

axe making

I have been wanting to forge an axe for a while now, but i cant ever seem to punch the eye. Ive tried different types of punches and i still cant get it to work. The punches always want to go through the cheek of the axe instead of going straight down. Can anyone help?

Have you tried a fold over and forge welded eye?  Have you tried drilling a couple of holes cold and hot slitting the eye and drifting?

What alloy are you using and the dimensions you are using? How hot are you working it? What does your punch look like?  What alloy is the punch? Do you have someone holding it for you while you control the punch and hammer?

I can't ever seem to forge weld, even with a coal forge and borax flux, even after watching a lot of tutorials and practicing a lot. I have several different punches, but they all have the same issue. Most of the time I drill 5 little holes to create a path of least resistance, but that doesn't seem to help and somehow it ends up going out the side. My punches are just sharpened rock chisels so I dont know if I need a different punch and Im not sure how to make one. Also the way I hold it is by putting the tongs between my legs so I have both hands free. And thanks for helping me out with this!

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

Are you rotating the axe blank after every few hit? This helps make up for any inconsistencies in the punch, how you hold the punch, and how you swing your hammer.

Also, keep and even heat on the blank.

David

Are you using a punch or a chisel?  Punches are not sharpened but flat on the bottom and should produce a slug when used. If you are using a chisel it may be too fat and that can throw it off.  Of course slitting chisels really need to be made from high alloys steels like S-7 or H-13 so they can be buried in hot steel without softening!  A slitting chisel should be following your drill holes with no problem.

As for forge welding stop by my smithy sometime and I'll run you through a couple of welds; perhaps do a hawk from a farrier's rasp.