I Forge Iron

Horse shoe metal online!

I am trying to make horse shoes but I am having the hardest time finding the right steel to buy online. I read steel that is 11-13 inches long and 5/16 x 3/4 works but I cannot find steel by those dimension on online stores. Can anyone show me the way! I would eternally appreciate it.

World Wide Web---are you in Australia or Finland?  The idea of being a blacksmith is that you can forge steel to size and shape. The size and shape you need depends on the size and type of shoe. A shoe for a Clydesdale hauling heavy loads on paved streets would be different than one for a pleasure horse on lightly ridden soil.

If you want to make shoes to be used; GET TRAINING!  DIY can ruin a horse!  I've been smithing 40 years now and would NOT consider making a shoe without an experienced Farrier looking over my shoulder and telling me what I needed to do.

The cross section, size and weight of steel you require will be dictated by the type of horseshoe you wish to make. You can make belt buckle size shoes from 5/8" x 1/4" and draft horse shoes from 1 1/2 x 1/2". The shoes in the image are made from 6" and 20" of steel, the smallest and largest shoes that I fit.

IMG_20210507_090213.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dimensions of stock,type of stock and just about every other detail will depend on what said horse does for a living what what sort of feet he has. You wouldn’t use 1/4x1/2 to turn a pair of toed and heeled draft shoes no more than you would use 1x3/8 concave to turn a pair of fronts for a 14 hand lead pony.  You can get barstock from any of the online suppliers,can’t give you much in regards to something local because I don’t know where you are located at on this ball of dirt