I Forge Iron

New tools!

Justin Topp

Finally got myself a lathe and a milling machine. The lathe is an old craftsman 6x18 metal lathe. It has a marathon 3/4 hp dc motor. and the mill is a grizzly. Real excited to put them to use. Small but they should do the trick for my shop. Can always use a friends machines if I need bigger 

9B384933-246A-4B0A-A034-4CDE2126C4C2.jpeg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks , That’s for sure! Nothing like running a machine that’s much older than me and will probably outlast me haha. The grizzly seems pretty powerful for its size. Certainly enough for what I need. Price was half of retail so I’m happy. 

Been keeping my eyes open for a 7” shaper …. None yet but I’m watching haha 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

(We tend to joke that 24 gauge steel won't stop the NM sun...)

Not a single layer it sure won't. While Alaska enjoys more humane temperatures we're exposed to much longer periods of direct irradiation by Sol. We get not quite 29 hours/day at this latitude. The inside of my steel shop turns into an oven within minutes of the sun peaking around the mountains and trees. Even insulation only helps.

However there is a method that works surprisingly well anywhere. Putting a second sheathing and roof spaced a few inches from the inside works well. You leave an opening at the base of the walls and a largish roof vent. As the sun heats the outer sheath/roof panels the air between inner and outer panels causes strong convection and helps keep both cool. 

No need closing the outer roof vent, rain won't effect anything, there's a good roof inside so water evaporating can't do anything but enhance cooling. Perhaps a soaker hose wouldn't be out of line, provided you can afford the water.

I also like unpainted galvy panels but there's a glare factor you can't ignore. Powder coated gloss white is probably the most practical.

Frosty The Lucky.

What with the sun and trees peaking; maybe not.  Of course we used to count the extra hours when the temps never get cool at night and so one hot muggy day continues into the next. 

Where I am now in NM at our altitude and low humidity  we can have a 40 degF day/night temperature difference.

We tend to try to conserve water out here; which is why they flood irrigate the alfalfa hay fields.

I'm still not sure how that gets you more than 24 hours in a day.  I lived in Fairbanks, AK for a couple years and we did have 23 hours of daylight in the middle of summer without ever going completely dark before the sun came up again, but our days were still 24 hours long if I recall correctly.

Didn't I say, NOT QUITE 29? -_- We're not making watches here are we?

Okay, 19 hrs. and change in mid June. Sunrise mid 4:am and sets around 11:30pm. 

Certainly you guys could've had more fun with a typo like that couldn't you? <sheesh>

Frosty The Lucky. 

• 1 month later...

I still love the old ones. My eyes almost filled with tears when I saw the subject. :)

Here's what I have to say about it: I've been reading and researching for a long time. I would like to show the performance of the product I purchased. I really liked the link removed product. In the review here, it was stated that it was not bad. I would like to get your advice as well. maybe there is something wrong.

Of course, I'm trying different things right now. 

CraftsmanBenchGrinder.png.171286164eb96924f4523067689f2139.png

• 4 weeks later...

Now you can use the craftsman as a dedicated machine if you have a use for one.

45 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I was at an auction once where all the tooling on a lathe mysteriously disappeared between buying and picking up!

I have seen this as well.  You have to have an auction buddy or eyes in the back of your head.  Some people have no shame!