I Forge Iron

Help correcting a bend

I am currently trying to forge a bottom fuller.  In the picture you can see the black top fuller I have already made/found, and the grey bottom fuller.  The bottom fuller is coming along but I can't seem to get rid of the bend in it.  The ruler is there so you can see how it's not straight. I spent a good amount of my forging time today just trying different things to get this bend out.  I tried hitting "the high side down", I tried tapering out the high side.  Is it just because it is so thick and I just need to keep hammering? part of me just wants to grind out the high side and match it to the top fuller but I feel like that wouldn't help me in the future.  basically do I just need to keep hammering on it or is there something I'm missing?

PXL_20210718_232839992.jpg

Two thoughts. How thick is the heel on your anvil? If it's in good shape you can heat the fuller, let it soak so it's hot all the way through. Place it in the hardy hole so it's leaning towards the heel and strike it towards the horn. Use a heavy hammer and do NOT hit it really hard. Do this lengthways on the anvil, you don't want to chance tipping it over. 

Another thought is to finish it as is and invent some good stories about how long it took you to invent the offset fuller. BS isn't JUST an abbreviation for Black Smith you know. ;)

Do you know what you did to cause it to draw that direction? The steel went right where you drew it.

Look at the thickness of the fuller where it curves. It bent towards the thick section. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to IFI! 

I don't have much to add to what Frosty says other than to lay it on the anvil with the angled face (the side towards the ruler in your photo above) DOWN and moving some of that extra metal out and down with a fuller. 

Well I could place some steel pieces under it with the "High Side" up and use my large screw press to even it out.

Doing it by hand on the anvil I'd probably want to use a striker  with a good sized sledge and wear the leather aprons and boots as it may be a "one blow per heat" deal! (Work it over the sweet spot too!)