I Forge Iron

Testing hammer accuracy

Sell them for an outrageous price and leave out the bloody details!

Thomas, I love flyballs and springy timing wires (among other things...)!  I am going to look into ordering "Mechanics Exercises", J. Moxon,  1703.  I think it is available.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For chickens I just used a road cone with the pointy end cut down a bit and the bottom cut down. Added a hook to hang it upside down. Chicken goes in head first upside down and I'd bleed em out rather than just lopping the head off.  

That is an interesting butcher shackle tho. 

The really cool invention is the whizz bang plucker. I'd like to make one of those before I'd do and larger scale butchering. 

Sounds like a plan Nodebt, although I thought the part about made recycled materials using sustainable methods would really reach out to more potential customers. 

thanks Daswulf, it’s a commercial shackle, there’s hundreds of them that hang from chains that run through those processing plants like an assembly line. Live chicken goes in one end and Buffalo wings come out the other. I don’t butcher anymore but I’ll look at that whizz bang plucker you suggested it sounds interesting.  

Also I forgot to say for all those concerned that no chickens were harmed in the making of my last post before this one. 

Back to hammer control/accuracy;  I make my living swinging a hammer framing houses, Barns, Stores, etc.

I use a 16oz Bluegrass that I've had for 40 years.  I usually drive a 16 penny nail with 2 blows after the set.  I've done it in one blow, but can't do it more than a few times, but 2 licks I can do all day.  That said, I guess if I had a 28oz hammer I could do it with one blow. Problem is I have yet to find a heavier framing hammer that is as well balanced as my little 16oz bluegrass.  I can control my hammer, and hit what I'm aiming at accurately.  A good test for accuracy is a piece of tie wire cut to the length of a 6 penny finishing nail.  I can drive it with one blow after set. 

All that said, My go to general use smithing hammer is a 2 pound ball pien. I went through about 20 to find that one.  It is well balanced, and after working the face, it is a good hammer.  I have a 3 pound cross pien that works ok, but needs a little adjustment.  And the 8 pound sledge is a nice one hander.   I made a goofy looking cross pien and it's about useless for anything but a top tool.  I do believe that hammer making is a true artform.

I find a lot of folks trying to swing too much hammer, to do the same job that I can do with a smaller hammer. I firmly believe that accuracy far exceeds weight.  A blow from a 30 pound hammer in the wrong spot, will move less than a blow from a 1 pound hammer in the right spot.

Nodebt, Lol well I guess I could dress up like that and start going to the festivals and trying to pedal my hand forged chicken shackles, I like the hat idea but you forgot that I’m gonna need some striped pants!

But I better have a contingency plan Incase the chicken shackles don’t sell I think I outta bottle up some quench barrel water and sell it as a genuine cure all for anemia, poison ivy, athletes foot and all round use snake oil!
100 percent guaranteed! Well at least till I get outta town…..  I don’t wanna be hanging around when the tar an feather brigade musters! Lol. 

That’s perfect! When the crowd sees you buying they will join in! But after they have went into a frenzy of buying your gonna need to get the wagon ready errr station wagon… because we’re gonna need to get outta dodge quick!

Maybe we’ll head up to the Klondike after we work the lower 48? 49?… gotta let the heat off. And I hear tell there’s mr Frost up there somewhere In Alaska who might lend us a cabin hide out in lol. 

Tar, Feathers and hand forged chicken shackles. :huh: I think you should save all the slack tub cure all tonic, in case your business plan goes awry. It DOES remove stubborn stains from all surfaces doesn't it?

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

I'm trying to think whether having fished a drowned squirrel out of the slack tub means I should charge less for the water or more....

Part it out and include it in the bottles, kind of like the worm in mezcal.  Value added, waste not want not, etc....

Had to dig a punch out of my slack tub the other day. Armpit deep in the water and what was on the bottom, i am not sure i really want to know what it is. 

Grandma used to ring the chickens necks. She would grab one by the neck from the back between her middle and ring finger lift it up and with a quick snap of her arm break the neck. Sometime the head would come off in her hand but if they ran around it was usually with their head flopping around to one side. 

Jumped out of a HEMTT one day at NTC almost on top of a sidewinder, he made a sort of half strike kind of thing then winded (is the what a side winder does, i know they cant run) away fast. Scared him way more than me. 

When I was living in the casita near the Mexican border, I had a wind-in.  Got back after dark and parked under the carport and when I opened my door I heard something.  I thought it sounded an awful like the sound one of my hand forged rasptlesnakes with the bottle caps threaded on the tail makes!  Then realized that there was a reason for that...backed the truck out to a "clear" spot...

Any drowned scorpions in your slack bucket Thomas? "Super Powers Scorpion Tonic. One sip will put snap in your stinger." Has a marketable ring, don't you think?

In all the time I did wandering around the foothills ad high desert of S. Cal the closest I'm aware of getting to a rattler was watching a road runner take one on from about 75'. It was a surprisingly fast fight but I might not have caught the start.

Frosty The Lucky.