I Forge Iron

485# Trenton anvil

I recently purchased a 485 # Trenton anvil from a neighbor. It is built in two pieces with a dovetail joint in the center and a drift pin to hold it together. 

I haven’t been able to find another one like it online. Hoping one of you can share some information. 

is it ok to remove rust with a wire wheel and flap wheel on a grinder as long as I’m not too aggressive? Or is that frowned upon? I will be its caretaker for the next five decades or so, I don’t want to mess it up. 

thanks, 

043CE0FE-EB29-4BCA-8AE1-358A1410FCCC.jpeg

0A44FD14-8FBB-4E61-999A-8D4DD7B59A0F.jpeg

1A61ABDD-7E53-48E8-9E8C-75CF18D99125.jpeg

What are the face dimensions?

I don't thik it was manufactured that way; I think that was a fix done after the waist weld failed.  If it had been manufactured that way I'd think that the top would match the base instead of being slightly off.   Weigh it and see how close to the stamped weight it is!

It's still a great anvil though and large enough that the repair will have no effect on it for most folks type of work.

Welcome aboard Craig, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. 

It looks like a repair to me too. Wire brushing and some BLO or wax then some hot steel hammering to put a shine on her face will spruce that old beauty right up.

Sweet score.

Frosty The Lucky.

OK; I ran out last night and grabbed a few fast measurements of my Trenton. Unfortunately none of the stampings are readable on it and I have never weighed it.

Mine Width of face: 5 3/4", length of face: 23 1/2", total length: 38 3/4" (slightly mushroomed point), height: 15 1/4". 

Craig's Width of face: 6",    length of face:  23",       total length: 38 1/2"                                                   height: 13 1/2"

I think we have identical twins, only one had issues resulting in a height loss due to surgical repairs!

Looks like mine might be heavier than I thought.  Some day I'll take it down to the feed store and get it weighed.  Knowing the exact weight won't change how it acts as an anvil though!

• 11 months later...

That is after a Gunther/Schuler repair done by Pep Gomez previously it had been used at a copper mine where the maintenance crew had used it to prop stuff on for air arc gouging.  OUCH!   Made in Columbus OH; used in AZ, sold off when the mine shut down and brought back to Columbus OH, bartered to me and I hauled it to NM! Got a bunch of miles on it.

Beware The chypsy anvils curse!!!

It was cursed long ago, to forever wander from place to place in search of an unsuspecting blacksmith who would unwittingly invite it into his unsuspecting smithy! 

where it waits quietly in silence to one day Bite you in the leg with the point of its horn when you least expect it!