I Forge Iron

When collecting, what should we look for?

Nope, all 6 of the Bugatti Royales are accounted for---as well as the prototype!

What I remember about Lloyd Ruby's car was that as a teenager weighing about 135#, I had bruises on my hips from getting into it's seat.

Now T. E. Lawrence spoke highly of using armoured Rolls Royces in the desert during WWI...

Old car values are strange.  I had a 1925 Huppmobile that I had a friend try to sell before we moved on Ebray and it got zero bids with a laughable starting price.  It was always under a roof, ran and was even a 3 door.  It looked like a car Bugsy Siegel would have would have made use of.  No bullet holes though.  The rubber was shot so maybe the wood spoked rims scared them off...

I had a friend who's career was restoring Hudsons.  His father had been a Hudson Dealer and he told me he had rebuilt his first Hudson engine while he was in single digits!  (His father used to give him a wreck, wait till he had completely rebuilt it and then sell it off and give him another wreck...)

Maybe that's how Elon Musk got his start!  That's just speculation though....  It's great to start young.  I remember my dad taking me regularly to a guy with a junkyard when I was very young, just to find something to tear apart to "see how it works".  The owner had the most apt and cool nickname and I wish I could recall it.

Sometimes we would put it all back together.  Depending on what broke when we tore it apart... :) There's more to bread toasters and transmissions than meets the eye.

I bet the cafeteria people loved seeing your bunch come in the door!  Or was that an "out back under the shade tree" thing?  Sounds like fun to me.

Field support had what used to be a conference/classroom, desks around the perimeter and a bunch of tables in the middle.  We would eat there on Fridays.   Great group of folks with a very practical viewpoint.  (They once went around the department recording the lock number on everybody's desk and coat closet and then switched the lock cores so everyone only needed one key instead of two.)

Probably had to change out the master pins on them.  You know that would make a good sales item for a dealership; offering to rekey your new vehicle to match another vehicle.  Nowadays you would reprogram the system to recognize your other fob.

(Of course my old pickup doesn't have a "fob" and does have a keyhole on both doors---which suits me fine!)

The problem with making all your vehicles use the same keyless ignition fob is auto starting them all when you want to drive a warm car without having to run out in subzero temps to warm your car up.

Not a problem or even something that'd occur to a desert dweller. The issue I really hate is how much it costs to replace a lost or broken fob. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Of course, what was I thinking. I always wondered why heating the air isn't considered air conditioning? Have to differentiate the two I suppose but I thought, Heater and Cooler made sense.

That's the voices talking of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

I always wonder why automakers don't incorporate an option that will start your car and warm it up/cool it off automatically at a certain time, kind of like an alarm clock.  Set it and forget it.  It would be great if you are on a set schedule.  Maybe they have and I don't know about it.  Never bought a new car...

I guess mabey I'm developing voices as well...

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla's offer such features. I know you can set your climate control remotely from your phone if you're into that sort of thing. I think electric cars are the only platform where that would make any sense. What if you oversleep and your car turns on in your garage? Let's assume there is a timeout or fuel level cutoff so you don't wake up to an empty fuel tank, you're still producing CO in an enclosed space where you and/or others are sleeping. I smell a lawsuit.

That's a valid point.  I guess I never looked at it from that perspective because I have never had a garage that had room to maneuver around in let alone park a car, it's always been the street, lane or driveway.....  :)   This may be why it's a good thing I've never tried to market any of my ideas!  ;)

I hear you there, I filed paperwork with the town agreeing that my garage isn't a garage anymore. It's an outbuilding. 

I couldn't park in there if I tried.. Maybe the mower, but that's not allowed either :rolleyes: