I Forge Iron

Repairing plasma cutter damage on anvil surface

Hi everybody. After a few years, I finally did it: got really dumb and left a 1mm wide, 0.5mm deep, 15 cm long furrow in my anvil's face with my plasma cutter.:unsure:
Even if it's fairly small, and not really in the way of where I usually forge on the anvil's face, I really do not want to leave it there. 
It's a 50 kg, italian pattern cast steel anvil in pristine conditions under any other aspect. :rolleyes:
How can I repair it? Any help is appreciated.

Many years ago my wife's grandfather gave me an anvil he purchased from a plantation estate auction. It had a sizable chunk of the hard face missing. Back then hard surface rods were a reasonable price and I filled in the area with an arc welder and ground it down to match the rest of the surface. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, but I did know enough to preheat the anvil with a torch before welding. I use that anvil today (although it had about a 30 year hiatus until I retired) but then again, smiting iron is a hobby for me. I've been offered money for things I've made but I always refuse. That would make it work and I've had too many fun interests spoiled by turning them into a job.

Would I advise you to weld on your anvil? No. As stated above there are lots of opportunities to make a bad situation worse. Some times the worse doesn't happen but look at the risk/reward. If it doesn't hurt the functionality, you have an anvil with a little more character than it had before. 

If you just can't stand a 1mm slot in your anvil face and don't (HOPEFULLY!) want to run the risks inherent in touching an arc to it. An alternate "fix" is to (Inlay) drive a thin strip of steel into the slit until it upsets and locks in place and peins tight at the surface. Then grind it smooth.

A caution is in order, do NOT do this if a slit runs parallel to and close to an edge OR if it's a large cut, there is a chance the method could break more of a welded high carbon face loose or split a piece off. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you everybody. Yes, I thought about peening some steel wire in there. Unfortunately it runs parallel to the edge, at about an inch from the edge itself, so I had my doubts about it. It's very shallow, though.
I'll take a picture this evening.

Anvil, thanks for the link, I read it but it looks like it concerns much bigger restoration work than what I have here.