I Forge Iron

Greetings from Argentina, photo heavy

Hi everyone, my name is Carlos, after several years as a silversmith, some time ago I became interested in knife making. I have done some work with recycled steel and some new steel, all done by stock removal. I'm currently preparing my forge and tools for the anvil and hope to start forging in no time, after recovering from the damage left by the covid.

As a silversmith, I worked with commercial knife blades making them hilt and sheath, here are some pictures.

GEDC0464.JPG

GEDC0465.JPG

GEDC0466.JPG

570.jpg

572.jpg

575.jpg

576.jpg

577.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

GEDC0183.JPG

GEDC0187.JPG

Incienso1.jpg

Incienso2.jpg

Incienso3.jpg

And here are some pictures of my work as knife maker

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

GEDC0079.jpg

GEDC0081.jpg

criollo grande 1.jpg

criollo grande 2.jpg

criollo grande 3.jpg

rustico 1.jpg

rustico 2.jpg

rustico 3.jpg

Very impressive sheath fittings!  You show great skill in a part of knifemaking that bladesmiths often have issues with.

If you make the chape from two pieces that get silver soldered together it's easier  make a ridge in one to transition the leather seam to flat within it.

I am not a fan of short edge bevels for knives so I was very pleased to see the second knife from the bottom with the longer bevel---(and the reflection of the photographer in it.)

I would hope that the market for your blades is strong.  As a silversmith; have you though of doing some patination on your knives? (search on:   Kemal knives     for some excellent examples that show how it can set your work off as compared to other makers' stuff.)

Thank you all for your welcome, I hope to learn a lot from you in this forum.

I have started reading some posts to learn while I recover from the covid.

Thomas, if you talk about that brown sheat, I wanted that leather stitching stay in sight, that type of stitching is highly appreciated by people from the countryside.

About Kemal knives: wow !! I still have a lot to learn. I have various chemicals for that but I am not yet learned how to use them.

No it was the black sheath in the knife right above the brown one. When I worked with the swordmaker, (search Maringer Swords  ) we sometimes would make wooden sheaths and cover them with leather by sewing the leather inside out and carving a groove in the wood to fit the seam. To bind them we would turn the leather right side out and apply glue to the leather and use it to help forcibly slide the leather cover onto the wood with the seam fitting in the groove.  Let the glue set and then apply the throat and chape.  He was rther known for his twisted wire work on handles and sheaths too.

As for patination; it is another level of work you might go to; they were trying to make their blades look "timeless"---were they from centuries in the future or centuries in the past? One way to get experience is to try to mimic pieces in a museum. Argentina has a history of great knives and so you can probably find examples that now are not mirror  polished.  (Be sure to date ones you make so someone can't sell it as an original knife from a century or two ago! I once had a commission to try to be as accurate as possible in making a "historical knife". They didn't want any markings visible on it---so I inlet the year using lead solder on the inside of the handle slab---X-ray will clearly show it's not original!)