I Forge Iron

Anvil Info Please

Pfjf

Thank you very much. Do you happen to know a value? It is on a stand as well. It's in good shape. My husband's dad had it all these years an rarely used it, my husband now has had it about 20 yrs. We are now 72 yrs old and need to sell some heavy items. Pam

Thomas is right we kinda need to see some pictures to give you a better idea of the value, Anvils very in price around the country, here in eastern Oklahoma I’m able to pick up anvils much cheaper than people in other areas and states, I’ve been buying anvils for $1 to a little over $2 a pound, but others around the country have paid $5 or higher per pound depending on the condition of the anvil. 

Welcome Pam...other than that we love pictures and a couple of members keep a data base on anvil markings.

Sorry to hear you have to "lighten the load" so to speak. I'm 78 (79 next month) and still acquiring heavy stuff. The way I look at it when I'm gone the kids can get rid of it. Sorta like pay back for all the lifting I had to do when they were young.:D

Beautiful shape and accessorized!  I'd ask US$6 (a pound) and not accept anything below $5 and at $5 sell the accessories seperately!  Note that swage block should go high too.

Definitely get in touch with the local ABANA affiliates; that set up is worth driving for!  (They may know the local pricing better too!)

1 hour ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

It looks to be in pretty good shape, I’m not Sure what price per pound is in your area but I’d bet that you could ask $4 to $5 a pound, are you also going to be selling that swage block on the floor next to it? 

Yes we will be selling the Swage Block as well. We have seen them online starting at $1100 + we are still researching. We are in Florence, OREGON on the coast. No shipping it's just too hard and expensive.

10 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Beautiful shape and accessorized!  I'd ask US$6 (a pound) and not accept anything below $5 and at $5 sell the accessories seperately!  Note that swage block should go high too.

Definitely get in touch with the local ABANA affiliates; that set up is worth driving for!  (They may know the local pricing better too!)

Thank you, We are in Florence, OR , coastal town. I thank you for the suggestion. Yes we plan on selling all separately. My Husband also has an older Forge as well, and several old hand tools as well. 

1 hour ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Is that a forge in the background with tongs hanging down? It looks like you have a complete set up. I’ll bet that you have no trouble at all selling it all 

Yes that is a forge with a Lancaster Geared Blower #40/ Champion Blower & Forge Co. Yes we will be selling that as well. Still researching it all. Yes lots of tongs too ! 12-14 maybe? Many hand tools in drawers as well. 

Yes, it's all rather nice to have, however my husband now has Frozen Shoulder issues and Carpal Tunnel, can't lift much anymore and at a Retired Building contractor, Body hurts! It's time to let things go...someone else out there can enjoy rather than sitting idol. None of the family wanted anything, their loss! Thanks for giving advice....Pam

It's nice to have but if you can't use it having it all could get painful. A few momentos will trigger enough memories and stories. 

I don't have any relatives interested in my shop and tools either, I'll probably just have a big sale one of these days.

Frosty The Lucky.

A blacksmith yard sale at frostys house? I wonder how many smiths would come from everywhere? You would have a hard time selling anything because everyone on here would just be coming over to your place just to hang out and talk and ask questions! 

hopefully it’s a lot of years before I have to worry about getting rid of anything but I had the idea that if my son doesn’t want anything then I’d like to buy an old building down town and build a living Meuseum that would display all the stuff I’ve been dragging home for years as well as having actual working set ups so smiths in the future could do public demos.