I Forge Iron

Home Made Electronic Furnace - Hi Everyone, First Post

12 hours ago, Oliver St John Mildmay said:

Its not my fault popular society has particular bias to what personality traits are acceptable and should be popular and or appeased, scarcasm being one. If your value is not to like it, or if you have an irrational bias against it ..... I'm sorry thats your popar obcessive style deludednesses. 

I'm sure I won't be the first person to break this to you but it's NOT the rest of the world that has the problem. Getting along in a society means conforming to societal rules, If you can't get along it's not society's fault, they are not irrational biases. Any thoughts otherwise is your delusion. 

I was wrong and admit it, I don't think there is anything I can do for you. I sincerely regret my inability to help you, your problems are so far outside my fields of experience all I can do is wish you luck and hope your mental health team monitors your online activity and can prevent you from playing with live current and molten metal. 

Even if I knew how to wire circuits according to British codes I'd no sooner tell you how than I would hand a loaded pistol to a 5 year old.

From the bottom of my heart, you have my prayers and best wishes. 

Frosty The Lucky.

May I suggest that you read up on DIY kiln building for potters or people doing enameling.   Those sites should be more apropos to your wants.  Also do a browser search on:   electric furnace  site:backyardmetalcasting.com     for some other people's threads on such things.

BTW do you know the resistance of that coil?  That will give you the amps it draws and you can figure out if it's a safe draw on your breakers.  I had to have a special circuit installed in my shop to run my welder, 50 amp 220 VAC.   I'm in the middle of electrifying my smithy. 200 amp service, it has it's own meter and transformer from the Electric CoOp and is costing about twice as much as I paid for my current pickup truck.  However since I am in a semi rural area; you have to toe the line or the Electrical CoOp will NOT provide power to your location!   As I work in a grounded metal frame/wall/roof building having the 20 and 50 amp circuits done *right* is of concern to me---I bought my first house from the widow of a man who accidently electrocuted himself working on it; he worked maintenance in a telephone central office and dealt with electricity every day on his job....

(Folks in the USA; the UK uses 220 V for their regular outlets rather than the 110 that we use.)

Please remember that while the questions are yours in your thread; the answers are written to the entire world!

15 hours ago, Oliver St John Mildmay said:

The only thing I wasnt sure about is whether the plug directly on the heating element will fuse, trip the house electrics. Or whether a resister is needed ?!?!

Oliver,

The fact that you asked that question that way tells us that you do not have the knowledge needed to safely construct this device.  If you did have the appropriate knowledge you would never have asked that question.  That's what people have been trying to tell you.  A couple people have tried to explain some very basic issues that you have completely ignored in the "only thing" you aren't sure about.  Regardless of the reasons, after asking for assistance you have been resistant to nearly every piece of advice offered to you.  Why ask anyone for help if you are going to ignore their answers anyway?

What you see is your first experience with this forum asking what seems like a very simple question to you.  No one has given you the answer you think you need, so you interpret that as people attacking you or at least being hard to get along with.

On our side we see this pattern in a person about once a week.  Some of us have been that person in the past. 

All I can tell you at this point is that if you honestly do the proper research to allow you to understand the device you want to build, you should come to see why you have gotten the responses given here.  We want people to succeed.  What we do is inherently dangerous.  We are trying to help you minimize the risks with the advice we have given.  If you choose to ignore that advice I wish you the best and hope you can accomplish your goals safely.

If this person isn't just an internet troll -- which I think is a distinct possibility given his ability to roll several hot-button statements into misspelled sentences --  I think he should consider just buying something off the shelf.. 

18 hours ago, Oliver St John Mildmay said:

Its not my fault popular society has particular bias to what personality traits are acceptable

Considering the number of IFI members whose neurology is atypical (whether because autism spectrum disorder, traumatic brain injury, mental illness, or whatever) and who nonetheless have learned how to follow forum guidelines for acceptable behavior and content, we know that "fault" and "bias" are not the issue. If we can do it, anyone can.

Steve Sells, I will follow instructions, but I want to know what they are and maybe ask questions about them

Latticino thanks for the tips

Frosty .... I just dont agree that the rest of the world doesnt have a problem (and no im not gonna run out mowing people down in a fit human hating deludedness). Thats why many things change and change back and evolve and unevolve etc and such like. Being really anti scarcasm is a fault,  scarcasm isnt really that a bad characterisric tbh imo, no mater how unpopular.
And thank you for the caring perspective. Very considerate and conciensious of you, Thank You.

Thomas Powers, yes am reading and you tubing diy electric furnaces, some really useful pointers tips. No don't know the resistance yet, havent bought the heating element, but if its resistance wire was gonna use a electric meter to calculate whats required.
Yep interesting about the electrics info. Sounds like your shop draws some power. I think the heating element i use is likely to be about 2kw max.

Buzzkill, yep a bit of truth in what you say. Although i do and am semi learning and listening and semi working out.

Frazer, nope not a troll looking to reck forums. And yep sometimes my spellings bad, lol.

JHCC yes agree with that, I think. But everyones safety issues are quite right .... its all well and good and fun messing around with these things until something goes wrong.
So i do need to listen a bit tbh.

Right now my shop draws ZERO power.  I'm trying to change that in a moderate way.  I'm getting old enough I am quite willing to let power tools take some of the drudge work off my joints and muscles.

It's interesting that the Electrical CoOp said I had to go with 200  amp service.  I don't know if they deal with smaller installations anymore.  As the transformer is free and there are a few things that I hope to use that do draw power in healthy gulps. I was happy to get it that way.