I Forge Iron

Does anyone recognize this brand of anvil?

What I am worried about is this area. It looks like it could be a repair. I’ve asked her when I could drop by and check the anvil out.  First pink anvil I have ever seen.  I am reasonably secure in my masculinity, so I could forge on it without worrying about what the neighbor may say  

Even if it is sound, I am not sure I want it. I prefer a thicker waist. I don’t know that is why my little Mousehole has such a large sweet spot, but it has to have at least a little bit to do with it. 

31AD75D4-05AD-46CA-8C16-D5E4980F65A3.png

She isn’t sure about the weight, but it is 28” from tip to tail. 

He or she said I can come by and see it on Saturday unless they are away. The seller is a trucker. I am a little wary about it and plan to bring my son-in-law with me.  People have been killed going to check out things being sold online.

It is listed for $700, but they said they would sell it to me for $550 when I messaged them.  I can’t say if that is a good or bad price, because they don’t know the weight. They think about 150. If so, that would be a decent price assuming the face is still sound. Most anvils seem to be going for about $5-$7 a pound now in Oklahoma. 

And there is too much paint to see any markings. It has been painted at least twice. 

Massively bummed D. Maybe somebody just didn't want you to buy this anvil. . . Because . . . You're going to trip over a 250lb. Soderfors while loading trash to make a dump run for an old neighbor lady and she gives it to you to get out of her way. 

Keep up with the positive waves.

Frosty The Lucky.

It was not a capacitor problem. That tested fine. Wasn’t a seized bearing either, because the shaft turned freely. So I just bought a new motor and swapped it out. 

It doesn’t look as robust as the older one, but it works. It is actually a lot quieter. At some point I will take out the rotor and test it to see if it has a short. I expect it does. If it does, I will check with one of the motor rebuild places to see how much it would cost to have it rewound. It is only 1.5 horse and single phase. It may not be ideal for a 72” grinder, but pool pumps are ran for hours at a time. They are very good and dependable motors. I am sure I can find something to use it for. 

42E49046-90C4-4C2C-B8C7-A921CFF4E0A0.jpeg

TEFC?   Grinders with open windings are notorious for short lifespans!

Got a nice Baldor 1.5hp TEFC at the scrapyard recently; looks brand new. Came from the remodel of a University building. Of course I did have to pay US$10 for it with the cast iron pulley...(Mined all the decent looking ones from that load!)

5 hours ago, arkie said:

Fab up some fan blades and USE IT FOR A FORGE BLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o  WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!  ('jus pullin' yer chain, there).;)

I see what you did there. :D

I actually have an old blower. I bought it shortly after I first started. It works fine, but I needed to carve a new handle for it and clean it up. It is still sitting in my garage where I put it when I brought it home. My wife’s hair dryers work ok. They cause me to burn way too much coal, because I am too lazy to bend down and turn them off, but other than that are ok. But I have considered finding a small electric motor to power the hand cranked blower. Not sure I would would 1.5 HP at 3450 RPMs though. I have a 1/4 HP dead motor I pulled from my FIL’s scrap pile. It is seized up. It could be just bearings. Some day I plan to open it up. 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

TEFC?   Grinders with open windings are notorious for short lifespans!

Got a nice Baldor 1.5hp TEFC at the scrapyard recently; looks brand new. Came from the remodel of a University building. Of course I did have to pay US$10 for it with the cast iron pulley...(Mined all the decent looking ones from that load!)

Some pump motors are TEFC, but these are not. I’ve checked and should be able to find a decent rebuilt Baldor or equivalent for not much money. The real expense will be the VSM. I’ve seen them for sale used, but am not sure I would want a used one. I mean someone didn’t want it, and my electronic skills are lacking. Not sure I could rebuild one.