I Forge Iron

Prayers on the death of an old friend

JHCC

I just got word that one of the oldest alumni of the college where I work died in his sleep last night, peacefully and with his wife at his side. They both graduated in 1947, and he was one of the last of our living alumni who had served in WWII. He went on to a distinguished medical career, and they both were dedicated volunteers for the college, serving as career counselors, class fundraisers, and a myriad of other roles. They also welcomed countless numbers of students into their home for tea and cookies (including yours truly, some thirty-five years ago) and were the self-proclaimed "grandparents" of the women's field hockey team.

So ring the anvil, if you will, for Don, and say a prayer for Mary Louise whom he leaves behind.

"For now though, we stand silent before the reality that when a giant passes on, there remains a void that cannot be filled."

Prayers sent for Don and especially Louise who is hurting more right now. Sometimes growing older and losing old friends and acquaintances leaves one with feeling more alone against our approaching end. I'll say a word for you and his other alumni.

Frosty The Lucky.