I Forge Iron

Making mini hammers as practice?

IrregularReno

Good evening folks, I'm still fairly new to forging and don't have very large equipment or tooling at the moment; however, I'm interested in trying my hand at making a hammer. I understand that a full sized hammer is likely out of reach, but I was wondering if making some miniature hammers would be good to try as practice? We have a thick piece of 1" thick 4" wide by roughly 6". I've cut off a piece of 1" square by 4" long. I was thinking of using some coil spring tools to try to make a hammer. The piece only weighs about 10 ounces so it will likely just be used as a chipping hammer. Thoughts?

I have a piece of 1 1/2" square that's like 4ft long that I've done some test heat treats on that I was planning on using for full size hammers. I just don't have any eye punches and especially not any drifts at the moment. I just got this idea though, I have some 1 1/4" shaft that I could probably work down into a drift. I could get a 2lb Harbor Freight hammer, remove the handle, and size it off of that. Then, I could forge the 2lb into a cross peen or something like that.

Make sure the HF hammer head has a good eye.  Never want to make tools based on someone else's bad design!  (One thing to check for is that the eye fits commonly available hammer handles!)  I think I would rather get a good brand hammer head from the scrapyard or fleamarket or yard sale or pawn shop and use that for the "tool to make a tool".

Why don't you take your 1" stock and make a hammer eye punch or a slitting chisel, and a drift, then make a real hammer that you will use?

You can either punch the eye, or slit and drift the eye. 

I wouldn't buy a hammer so I would know what size eye  to make. Seems redundant. 

If you need a hammer to use as a template to make your punch and drifts but a yard sale hammer, HF Chinese made hammers aren't up to uniform standards. Patterned on a good hammer and you'll be able to buy handles at the local hardware store if you wish.

Frosty The Lucky.

I visit a freight salvage company from time to time and once ran across an entire crate of hammer heads selling cheap by the piece---I was excited till I picked one up and looked it over. Eye was punched out of square.  Looked at a bunch more.  All the eyes were mist punched in various ways.  Crate was labeled in Chinese. I guess someone got shipped a crate of mistakes and noticed and refused it and hence it showed up at the Freight Salvage store...

I am always perplexed when I see folks picking bad designs to copy because they are cheap.  As hand workers we can't compete on "cheap" we need to compete on "GOOD!"