I Forge Iron

Brazing rods won't melt?

Braze like you're soldering, bring the joint to high orange / low yellow (depending on the grade of rod) and start touching the end of the rod to the joint. When it melts and flows apply rod until it stops (sweating) being drawn into the joint. 

You don't melt brazing rod onto the joint, the joint MUST be hot enough to sweat the braze in and bond.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I believe this has been covered before here on IFI, but MAPP gas (and propane for that matter) does NOT get hot enough to properly braze in the normal sense.  One has to use oxy/fuel (fuel being acetylene or propane).  Soldering, a lower temperature process, can be done with either MAPP and/or propane.

I understand all that but I don't know what capabilities and equipment Crazyoatmeal has at his disposal nor what he's trying to braze.  Obviously not an oxy/acetylene set up.  I have used mapp many times, as I said, on small stuff.  It's really great for remote locations.  Never had anything fall apart yet.  Actually, I think I silver brazed a part with mapp for a stirling engine I made, once, many years ago.  At any rate thanks for clarifying and I shall bow out.