I Forge Iron

Compass Inn museum forge day

Recovery time is what has made me change the way I ride a skateboard. Slams that I used to jump up from and keep skating now require weeks to heal from if not an actual trip to the ER. Cuts and scrapes still tend to heal quickly but other injuries like sprains seem to linger for quite some time. 

Pnut

When my son was in Little League, we had an end-of-the-season boys-vs-dads game in which I (for reasons as yet unclear even to me) decided to steal home, which included a rather dramatic slide to beat the tag. While I ended up with scrapes all up and down the side of my leg, I miraculously escaped otherwise unharmed. It was nice to feel that youthful sense of carefree invulnerability again, if only for a few minutes.

Followed by weeks of wondering when the scabs would fall off?

My skin seems to be getting "delicate" and stuff I would not have noticed in earlier years will now bleed impressively and take a long time to heal.  A lot of shop visits will end up with a "What did you do to yourself this time?" when I go back into the house.  Being Diabetic doesn't help healing times my Dr tells me. (My new one hasn't given up on trying to keep me "safe" at home yet...but he did give me a Tetanus shot recently.  First one I've had without a sore arm afterwards.)

My skin has really thinned out, I'm always discovering little bleeding nicks on the backs of my hands and callouses? Callouses are just fond memories, I have to wear gloves most of the time. Let's not get into tweaking joints, fortunately they'll stop hurting in a week or two. Bruises last a long time too and the shingle vaccination I got a little while ago swelled up and hurt for a week.

My endocrinologist has stopped trying to get me to change my life style more than exercise more, aerobic exercise that is. Jog? Joggle maybe.

Deb did discover a better 1st. aid minor wound / burn cream than Armor Gel. Armor Gel contains 24 ppm colloidal silver and works a treat healing up minor wounds it even causes scar tissue to fade away. It's not silvadyne(sp?) but it's good stuff.

Then Deb comes home with this stuff, made by, "Simple Truth," called "Silver Gel" it contains 200ppm and so far has healed my pokes ad scrapes at near teen ager speeds. 

I can NOT predict personal allergies or sensitivities so be careful the first time you try it if you do. I don't make anything from them, I'm just really happy with it.

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

My skin seems to be getting "delicate"

I asked my PCP and Dermatologist about that. Both of them said, "that is what getting older does to you". In my case it's especially apparent on my arms & hands. Gives a whole new meaning to thin skinned.

I have psoriasis and from years of using steroid creams my skin has thinned quite a bit in some spots so that it doesn't take much more than a bump to tear it open. When it heals over it turns into a new place for plaques to form (Joy:angry:)

Pnut

I haven't talked with my dermatologist in a while. The IV infused immunosuppressants were a no go. I had a terrible reaction and had to cease treatment. I haven't tried any oral treatments as of yet. The treatment regimens I've been on in the past have only worked for a year or so. At this point I'm just trying to keep it from getting worse. The only thing that's consistently helped or kept it from getting worse is coal tar ointments. I will see my dermatologist after my yearly physical so I'll make some inquiries about the oral treatments. Who knows? I might get lucky. 

Pnut

I see new wonder drug/treatment advertisements all the time some legit some snake oil. I've discovered if I ask my Endocrinologist about a diabetes med ad, he tells me straight. They're mostly a renamed, re-hyped snake oil marketing gimics. My GP on the other hand just offers to write the scrip if I ask her about meds on TV. 

On the upside, modern medicine is approaching Star Trek Tricorder levels. If we can hang on another decade we may be able to grow and implant ourselves in a 25yro body. The best part about that is, we WILL know then what we k now now!:D

Frosty The Lucky.