I Forge Iron

Compass Inn museum forge day

I'll be heading there this saturday the 19th. I'll bring my demo forge setup and canopy.

We make items for the gift shop to sell to help out the museum and also it is just a fun day of forging out at a historic site.  

It was an excellent time two years ago. Unfortunately it didn't happen last year. 

I don't get out as often as I'd like but this one I really wanted to attend. Last time there were all sorts of different forge types and people forging different items. If you don't have a forge setup there are those that will let you use theirs. I'm one. So if you are in the area and want to attend something this is a good event and a fun day, this is one. 

From the PAABA event calendar:

"June 19 – Compass Inn MuseumStaring at 9:00, if you would like to make items for the Gift Shoppe to support the Museum,  bring your forge set up and tools.  This year will be a little different because of the addition of Professor Chalmers Bodkin-Child’s Medicine and Magic Show.  You may have a new “spot” to set up.  All participating smiths will receive lunch, tour of the Inn and experience the Medicine and Magic Show.  Plan on making some extra items this year to support this special day! "

It was a great day last time Frosty. I'm sure with much having been shutdown for a while there will be more excitement. Wish you could be there as well. Maybe we'll meet at quad state one day. I still have to make it there eventually as well. 

I'm aiming for Q S in 2022 if I have to fly down and rent a car. . . Maybe. Deb really wants to make Woolgathering and meet up with online friends so I'm pretty sure we'll be down for both.

Frosty The Lucky.

That would be great. You'll have a Ot of people wanting to meet you or catch up with you. 

Got home from the forging event a little bit ago. It was a great time.  Caught up with some people I know and met and talked to some others. 

I was busy forging away and barely got any pictures. Bob Pickens did a brass pour that I missed somehow but I got to see the key he poured for the museum. It's actually to use for the door I believe. It's a nice place with great people. 

20210619_130417.thumb.jpg.18ae3d678467a30895a9649a0587d45e.jpg

20210619_130420.thumb.jpg.4e5f65f8924f3a4bc87dc59829484561.jpg20210619_162113.thumb.jpg.2f0b7508ae5a2bc56f9671bf58313df2.jpg

20210619_162650.thumb.jpg.aefab90e3a3af300a4168d0d88f4a5c5.jpg

I've been talking to people online since the mid 80s and I've wanted to meet them since my first day online. I've gotten to meet a few and have never been disappointed. I've been wondering what to wear to be easily recognized in a crowd. Thomas has an ideal signature outfit.

I'm wondering if I should sew up a pair of aloha lederhosen? Maybe just my Derby and a feather boa.

Frosty The Lucky.

Honest Bob Cruikshank has worn a battered stove pipe hat to Quad-State before.   I was a bit gun shy about meeting online friends at Quad-State after the year I was finally going to meet Paw Paw Wilson and instead got to make his Passing Toast at Quad-State.

Frosty, then go with the corn cob pipe.

I tend to be an introvert unless i already know some people, someone talks to me or I've had a few adult beverages. I've battled social anxiety a lot in my life. It's like an inhibition. Some days are better than others. I'm usually glad when I battle through it and meet great people. It's not that I even think it wouldnt go well it just happens to me. Hard to explain. 

Not to say that I don't love a good conversation, and when someone has a question on forging I love sharing what info I've learned. Had a lot of good conversations on forging at this event with people interested in it, and I hope I sparked more interest and understanding that it's not as hard to get started as they thought. 

I kind of envy people with a more care free and expressive attitude. I'm a fun outgoing person in my own mind. Lol. I just dont let me out. 

I'm what they call an extroverted introvert: good at making conversation, being engaging, etc (which is good, considering what I do for work), but definitely happy to have time alone to recharge. 

A corn cob pipe it is! Good suggestion, thanks. I can get creative even. Hmmmm.

I understand what you're saying about having trouble talking to people though I'm about opposite myself. I have friends with similar issues. An old and dear friend tends to lecture and a couple are, like you not fond of meeting new people or the old stand by, choking up completely trying to talk in groups of more than 2-3 people, "stage fright" sort of.

I'll have to sneak up behind you or something. (not)

A extroverted introvert John? Who doesn't need time to recharge after engaging in their natural inclinations? I'm a real talky guy in public, especially around blacksmiths but really need a quiet dinner and sack time afterwards. I'd have t say I'm an extrovert leaning to wise guy, sometimes to the point of being self destructive.

Don't worry Das, I'll look you up and we can get to know each other in person. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha just say hi and start a convo and I'm good. I've talked with you long enough here if I see you I'll come say hi. 

I'm deffinately not on the extreme end of the spectrum but I'd deffinately take time to warm into talking to a large group. And probably avoid that if possible lol.

Boy did I try to hide and be invisible when teachers were picking students to read out loud for the class. Unavoidable when we had to do a paper presentation. 

Now a days I can usually have a nip or a few beverages and be a lot more relaxed.

Earlier during Covid I spent months in my small office with the door closed and locked.  It was bliss.   Blacksmithing is what lowered the wall for me talking with people.  I still don't like crowds; but I can handle banter; good as a lot of blacksmiths banter big time!

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Now a days I can usually have a nip or a few beverages and be a lot more relaxed.

What? Adult beverages don't make you want to drive a high performance cars the wrong way on windy roads or take aerobatic flying lessons?

Oh my, you ARE a strange one aren't you? :lol:

Blacksmiths all speak the same language no matter what language they order groceries in. It can make figuring out what the other guy is saying a bonding experience. A couple blacksmiths stranded on an island could probably learn to communicate effectively faster than most folk from the same country.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's funny, the older I get the more people I know who say the same thing. A friend from farther north was confronted by a punk who demanded money, my buddy said no. The hood threatened to take it and my buddy told him, to paraphrase. 'I don't heal fast enough to mess with you leave me alone.' The hood started the brawl my buddy didn't win the fight. He didn't fight him, he just put the punk in the hospital 2-3 moves and it was over. It was some kind of Marine thing.

Since the accident I've become VERY cautious, hospitals aren't a fun place. Glad they were close mind you, I just didn't enjoy my stays.

Frosty The Lucky.

One of my best friends from childhood (one of my dad's students) once was mugged on the streets of NYC by a guy who flashed a knife and demanded all his money. David replied, "I'm not giving you all my money." After a little verbal back-and-forth, they settled on $20, and they each went on their way satisfied and unharmed.

Mind you, I don't recommend this for everyone. Of all the people I've ever know, David is probably the most self-possessed, calm, straightforward, and silver-tongued of the lot, and I don't think I know anyone else who could have pulled that off.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, JHCC said:

I'm what they call an extroverted introvert: good at making conversation, being engaging, etc (which is good, considering what I do for work), but definitely happy to have time alone to recharge. 

My Brother! I am an introverted extrovert: Good a not making conversation and terrible at being alone...8-) 

All this talk of QS makes me itchy to go to one. Wish we had a really good hammer in up here in AK. Frosty came to one we tried throwing and it was a blast, just kinda small with only 4 smiths...

Was that the one at the library? Didn't you come to the one I had at my place? What we generally have are small get togethers outside of club meetings.

Maybe with the number of members the club has acquired since FIF started showing we could pull off another. Maybe another Forging on the River or pick another park or such. Jim Creek or a sand bar on the Matanuska?

Hmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Was that the one at the library? 

It was the one at the campground by the river in Palmer. 2019 I think? 

I do want to do another one, hopefully larger.  There are about 5 guys I know quietly learning about smelting. Hoping next year we could do a combo hammer in/smelt. Maybe Knik would work. 

We've done two of those, unfortunately Officer Barkwood has been busy being a new police officer to organize more so no repeat.

A bloom would be fun, do you know anyone with experience? I don't mean someone who SAYS, "I can do that."

I haven't any and having a bunch of newbies along while you and I try to figure it out would be a bad idea. Before someone suggests bellows thralls I'd be using one of my 12v dc mattress inflaters and not worry about blast.

Have you thought about cutting coaling enough wood for a bloom? 

I believe you know of some good iron ore. 

Frosty The Lucky.