I Forge Iron

Spring, TX (N Houston) meetings?

Hello everyone. I seem to be having trouble finding fellow knife maker gatherings in my area. There is a show in Conroe towards the end of the year, but I haven't found anything else. I'm not sure if I should join the Texas Knifemakers Guild since the last event I could find on their website was from over a year ago. I have messaged a local maker who is probably known in the knife making community, with no response. I don't want to pester makers but I really want to meet other makers in my area. I can't talk knives with any of my friends because they just can't keep up, with respect. They aren't makers and just don't know about making knives. Anything helps. Thanks in advance.

Collin, (can I call you Collin?) It is very likely that events in the last year have impacted the calendar resulting in fewer meetings or less advertising for them. If there is any contact information provided on their site I would give them a call and see if there is anything coming up in the near future.

I also did a quick search and found the Houston Area Blacksmith Association (if you search that name it should pop right up). It looks like they do have events on their calendar. While they aren't specifically oriented toward knife makers, I'm sure there will be people you can connect with and share your interests.  

Another thought would be to contact knife maker type suppliers and ask if they know any bladesmiths in your area. They aren't going to give you anybody's contact info unless maybe a club but you can ask them to give other bladesmiths YOUR contact info.

If worse comes to worse put an add in the paper or online. Do you have a Facebook page? might work for Craigslist too. 

I'm brainstorming ideas here, playing detective like I was looking for a group. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frazer, thank you! I looked and looked but couldn't find anything. I'll be sure to get in touch with both groups. That's why I asked because I don't know what to even look for. I only recently learned the term hammer-in.

Frosty, you deserve an award for all the help you give freely to the less experienced makers. I have a FB but it's my personal account. I only have an IG account for my knife making as of now. I never thought of that. I could call Texas Knifemakers Supply and ask if they know about any gatherings or hammer-ins in the area.

Thank you both for the advice! The only advice I have to give back is never trust a fart. Sorry.