I Forge Iron

Wilkinson anvil

Welcome to IFI, Lavon!

I think your anvil can't make up its mind about whether it's a Wilkinson or a Mousehole (aka The Undisputed King of Anvils). I've never seen both names stamped on the same anvil before, and the upside-down "HOLE" is a bit odd in itself.

Anyone here have a copy of "Anvils in America" or "The Mousehole Forge" that might provide some clarity?

I have read some threads that indicated Wilkinson had purchased Peter Wright (can't remember when) and that Mouse Hole suffered great financial problems during the ACW due to the naval blockade. Just wonder if Wilkinson may have bought out Mouse Hole as well or produced some anvils for them in that time period.

Wow!!, thanks guys for all your responses, this is getting interesting. I just read the article. By the way this was my Great Grandfathers, I am in my 60s so it goes back some. Only my grandfather knew the history and he passed in 1975.

The thing about a lot of blacksmithing equipment is that it wears like iron and so a lot of us are using tools over 100 years old and quite a few of us over 150 years and some over 200 years old.  (I have an 1828 William Foster Anvil that I hope to have a birthday party for in 2028 and a post vise that was identified as being "pre 1800".)

My 25# Little Giant triphammer was originally sold Dec 28 1915 to a smith in Merino Colorado.

I'm in my 60's too and can only hope to be smithing into my 80's and 90's like some smiths I have met!

Forwards, backwards then backwards and forwards again.. with two makers.. 

What a wild anvil. Wilkinson's & sons and a hole mouse? (Mouse Hole.)

Interesting indeed. Maybe made by one for the other or some crazy collaboration? And I have heard of and seen backwards stamp marks but two backwards halves of stamps on two different names on one anvil... what does the ring and rebound test show on this anvil?

I can’t quite tell from the photo, but that might simply be some surface failure on one of the forge welds. If it’s not deep, it probably won’t affect the anvil’s durability or performance.

The Mouse Hole stamps are not individual letter stamps; so not someone "free handing" another makers trademark!

Looked to be stamped hot too; so most likely during original manufacturing or a truly MAJOR repair.

Note the differences in the "O"'s.

How possible is it that Wilkinson & sons was a shop and mouse hole is the anvil? FYI. Not my image. Pulled from google. 

D0E16E6C-1F89-4612-834D-A340C365A10C.jpeg

And maybe mr Wilkinson’s sons were just being cheeky when they stamped in their mark? Lol

No. That’s not what I meant with this pic. I was showing how other mouse holes had upside down stamps. 

My Peter wright is stamped “made for e.d. Kimball” on it. Possible it was made and stamped for another shop?