I Forge Iron

Price of building materials

SinDoc

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently shocking enough to jolt a jigglewatt of laughter. I doubt John has the capacity for a voltswagon.  Maybe Chevy volt. Hope we haven't LED him to phase us out. I doubt he is shocked. I bet he will phase this differently. He's only semiconducting this currently. 

SinDoc,

I'm the Chief Estimator for an Electrical Contractor, we're seeing people "win" bids by the exact amount that material pricing went up the day before.  New work has dried up because banks can't/won't finance projects where the material pricing is constantly jumping up.  PVC went up 300% over 20 days back in April, I doubt there was a 3% change in PVC pricing over the previous 9 years.  

Making everything worse, is the sad fact that most of the factory admins, reps and distributors went all-in on "work from home" without any kind of quality control.  Lots of otherwise good people became distracted, and error-prone generators of delay.  I know of two firms in the last week who had to pay seriously ugly material price hikes that happened after I issued the Purchase Order, but before their staff could get around to completing the transaction.  Most of these firms skated by during the pandemic because material prices were relatively stable, and everything slowed down.  Now, they're paying real penalties for delays due to their mismanagement.  With new work harder to come by, ownership might notice there's a management problem.

The company I work for (CED) never went all in on the work from home, even for us office people. During the bad spikes of cases, we did split crews were half were working in office and the other half worked from home. While it was nice to work from home, it was rough. Motivation to stay busy was in very short supply and to make the matter worse, I didn't have the tools to properly do my job at home. Hard to work on jobs when I had no printer, let alone a plotter and only a 24" monitor.