I Forge Iron

Curved hardy hole

Hello, nice to meet you. I have a question about an anvil that I just bought in an incredible offer. It's pretty old, and the hardy hole is placed in a different place, plus it's curved to the side of the anvil. How can I forge a hardy if the hardy hole is curved? I think that I should curve the square section in the horn and then hammer it into the hardy hole, but your opinions will be taken into consideration. Thanks for your timeCurved hardy hole.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-30 at 14.43.27.jpeg

Good Morning,

Welcome to IFORGEIRON.

The hole out the side means nothing gets stuck part way, in the Hardy Hole. It just means that your Hardy Stems will be curved, No Problem!!. When you make your different Hardy's, the shoulders are what takes the impact, not the shank/stem.

Neil

Definitely a good looking anvil with a nice clean top and edges. I don't have anything in particular to add to what's given above, apart from agreeing that squaring up the shank and giving it its basic shape on the horn is not a bad idea. As long as the top fits snugly in the hole and the shoulders fit square to the top, you don't need an exact fit between the shank and the hole, so don't get too fussy about getting that perfect.

Welcome aboard BrokkrArg, glad to have you. Do you have a name or nick name we can address you by? Your login is pretty cumbersome, I had to look twice to spell it now. 

I don't have anything to add regarding the hardy hole. It's a beautiful anvil and a nice size. Good score!

On 6/7/2021 at 4:36 AM, Rojo Pedro said:

I am especially attracted to the pig styles.

Are you trying to torture me Pedro? You know how much I love a good straight line and that one is just delicious, it could get me in trouble maybe moderated even.

MUST resist urge!

Frosty The Lucky.

BrokkrArg,

Forge the hardy with a tapered shank, then rotate it 90degrees often while fitting it to the anvil. The end result will be an odd bent square taper (like the “bent pyramid” in Egypt). It may rock a little when force is away from the bend direction, but for most tools it won’t be a big issue.

David

On 6/14/2021 at 10:25 AM, Goods said:

BrokkrArg,

Forge the hardy with a tapered shank, then rotate it 90degrees often while fitting it to the anvil. The end result will be an odd bent square taper (like the “bent pyramid” in Egypt). It may rock a little when force is away from the bend direction, but for most tools it won’t be a big issue.

David

I'm gonna try that! Thanks a lot! Took me a while to notice that it starts in square, but ends in rectangle to the side. By the way... it would look incredibly awesome if the hardy tool had a touchmark in the bottom that could be shown to the side when you put the hardy in the anvil.. just something that crossed my mind

On 6/7/2021 at 9:36 AM, Rojo Pedro said:

That is a very nice looking anvil. how about some more pictures. 

looks french? I am especially attracted to the pig styles.

It's 80 kg. The small anvil in the 2nd picture is my old anvil, probably around 10kg xD

72159e7b-f43d-42af-a1ae-d3fb0cc6b24c.jpg

b79f8fc0-0dfa-4684-aafd-93216dbac146.jpg