I Forge Iron

Ribbon burner with 'computer fan'

sos

This is the ribbon burner I found on the back of a shelf when cleaning up (mentioned in another post). It must have sat there for 10 years.

I have this very nice blower that I got at the transfer station for $5. It puts out *way* too much air, even almost completely closed off. Instead I tried a square fan. This fan isn't actually from a computer; 3" sq. 115VAC, 15W, it pushes more air than most computer fans.

The propane regulator says it's at 1 psi, but that's the first mark on the gauge. I adjusted the needle valve to limit the propane flow; the fan is unobstructed, if you don't count my crude coupler.

I think this is the first time I've even seen a ribbon burner working. Some feedback will help a lot. The flames are a lot lazier than in a Reil burner, which is what I usually use. The holes are 5/16" through the firebrick, with the last 1/2" drilled out to 1/2" diameter.

The noisiest part of the setup is the regulator at the propane tank, just a bit of hissing.

Thanks,

Steve

flames.jpg

lashup.jpg

Who's plans did you follow and what do they say? 

When you compare your flames to the flames on properly functioning multiple orifice (ribbon is one shape) burners, what do YOU think?

Since you asked I'll offer my opinion and observations.

It isn't working at all, the fan is so inadequate it might as well not be there. 

I don't understand why you'd drill holes like that. What is your reasoning? I'm willing to try new things if there's good thought behind them.

Why not connect your Reil inducer to your ribbon burner? It might not put out enough flow to run 24 nozzles but it could NOT do worse. 

One last thing. Do NOT burn that thing indoors! It IS generating huge amounts of CO (Carbon Monoxide) an odorless, colorless gas that is insidious and can be lethal. 

Be safe we don't want to read your obituary.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm pretty  sure the burner was inspired by John Emmerling's article in Hammer's Blow (2006). His burner uses 26 crayon holes, pretty similar to my 24 at 5/16".

Attached is the best I could do with the larger blower, gate valve not open very far. I do have some light blue core to the flame, not very even across the holes.

The idea behind the holes having a larger bit at the end came from induced burners, where the step diameter change at the end of the tube helps keep the flame from climbing back up the tube.

My thought is that there are too many holes, or they have too large a diameter for the blower and gas flow.

Thanks for the mention of CO, I am definitely aware of the dangers.

bigger_blower.jpg

• 10 months later...

Kind of late for my input but maybe someone else will come across this and find it of some use.

_yes the holes are quite large imo. alot of folks will cast ribbon burners and use low density styrofoam with birthday candles stuck in it and melt  the foam and wax later.  Don't waste time with this method the candles are almost perfect size though.

I have made many ribbons burners using a plasterers| loaf pan and filling it with a mix of silica sand clay and easy sand 20/45/90  minute plaster depending on comfort level.   I take  a block of wood copying the pans shape on a smaller scale  so the if tjhe mud filled pan would be 3/4'' from edge of the block on 4 sides and  the belly of of the pan.  pour refractory in. you want it about pancake batter thick maybelil thinner. this is a good gravity for overall strength/ heat refraction

Welcome aboard McBonfyuh, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

Do you have pictures of the way you cast burners you'd like to share with us? I'm only getting a vague idea of how you cast burners from the description alone.

Frosty The Lucky.

When curing the mix, the wood will float so I set the pan between two bricks so sides wont bulge and  set  a 3rd brick across the pan pushing the wood down so it will be flush with the top of pan. Don't leave it to dry fully! When its still slightly grey it will save you a headachee   if run a putty knife along the walls of the block and pan as well. i do this three times as its curing.   now i have what looks like a block to fill the lower half of a pan the same as before but with no gaps between any of pans walls, this is for the lid. pour some graphite powder  evenly coat the wood before u pour same refractory with more plaster and less sand plot your holes and do some pilots while its still muddy then again right before almost dry. add a thin layer of plaster around edges and plop the1st form upside down on the the second.  its tedious but worth it...  before  joining u can slice out the entry  hole and for more consistant flame i cut a square of stainless and float it centered in the first form to break the straight flow from  purge out to uneven

will post pictures of one i have almost done with what stuff