I Forge Iron

Stroppy neighbour - uk

Scalebar

Texicans used to be a lot more fun to tweak. Unfortunately Alaska is so much better known you don't hear so many silly things. I was in a super market getting a salad bar to go lunch and someone was standing by a display of nice little seedless watermelons. This was when seedless were still pretty  new and about honey dew melon size and solid green. Whoever Mr. loud and proud to be Texan was going on about how a Texan farmer would be embarrassed by melons that small. yada. yada. yada.

I had my lunch and as I walked past said, "I'm sure Texans grow can bigger watermelons but those are local Alaska grown peas."

The people who were listening to him stopped talking, the Texican stopped talking and starred at the little melons muttering. Then the laughter started and I checked out with lunch. I even had Valley Grown peas in my salad and I'm sure they're the same size as Texan peas. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Nettles are nasty plants, right up there with poison ivy, goats head, bindweed and kale.

aye especially stinging nettles and hard to kill kale is good

16 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Spinach, yes!

"popeye the sailor man TOOT TOOT"

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

I would welcome someone throwing stinging nettle seed in my yard and it growing. It is a super healthy pland and great as a compost tea for other desirable plants. 

you sound like my father and his side of the family they love netals me m mother and siblings meh 

scalbar i agree with wat others ar saying keep it up and when the new folks move in ask them what there sceduel is like if they get up at 10:30 on weekend start a t 11 if in the week they go to bed at 830 stop at 8 this gives a buffer zone to prevent you from disturbing them to much also become friends and gice them free goodies every once and a while

M.J.Lampert

If you lived in much of our state you could express yourself to the stroppy neighbor by dropping a handful of stinging nettle seeds in their outhouse.

I'm not a fan of nettles though I like nettle tea. Nettles are pretty easy to clear, goats LOVE nettles, they'll keep them cropped to the ground till they die. In fact there's a book that more than touches on the subject of goats and nettles titled, "Never Kiss A Goat On the Lips."

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:22 AM, George N. M. said:

I suggest that you start off with a peace offering to the new neighbors after the sale.  Introduce yourself, welcome them to the neighborhood, tell them about yourself and your hobby and give them something you hand forged, e.g a bottle opener, BBQ tools, a fire poker (if the house has a log fire), etc. as a house warming present.  Invite them over to watch what you are doing.  Many folk have never seen a real blacksmith working.  You may keep the relationship sweet with occasional hand forged small gifts such as gardening tools or a candle holder at Christmas.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Best advice. I my experience there are two types of people those with common sense and the scum. The common-sense people you will always find a compromise, you both bend a little and it works out. The scum they don’t care, they just see their side and will always find something to complain. You could plant trees and they will complain about the lack of sunlight you cut them down they will complain about not having shade.

Planting Bamboo along the fence line?  You are *EVIL* Charles and I like that about you!    (For those who don't know Bamboo is sort of the blitzkrieg of invasive plants, I'm told that if you catch it early enough;  neutron bombs have a chance of holding it back.)

My name is on the sidewalks at UofAR, used to walk over my Father's and Uncle's names while going to class.  Arkie, I am sad to learn you were born a Texan, and happy that you managed to get over it!  ( Again, for others: Graduates of the University of Arkansas have their names listed in the sidewalks.)

Newcomers being appreciated over old settlers; must be a location thing.  Here the County Commissioners read like a list of the families that have been here 100 years plus, some may have waved to Onate when he came through in 1598!  New folks would be wise to get a local friend to help them get stuff  enacted...

Rural areas understand excuses like: "I got stuck behind a tractor on the way to work"  (Narrow, winding, no passing,  NO shoulders---the hill directly abuts the edge of the road; the other side is an irrigation canal!)  A couple of miles at 5 mph will impact your arrival times!

Oh bamboo isn't that tough, I've heard that if you turn salt into the ground about 4' and keep it mowed to ground level for a few years it'll start to die back. It's not indestructible, it's just grass. 

That was evil George, I like it.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Nodebt said:

Cross it with bindweed and you would have kale that would never die with roots 50' deep!  

20 hours ago, M.J.Lampert said:

aye especially stinging nettles and hard to kill kale is good

nodebt i meant that nettles are hard to kill and that kale is good. :licklips: though yes it is quite a hardy plant

M.J.Lampert

Lol, I hear you M.J.... I haven't been paying attention and squinting at this little screen doesn't help.

Hardy indeed.  I used to have to use a machette to chop it's woody stalk in half in the fall to clean out the garden.  We used to have 40 or so plants.  Freezing weather/frost actually makes it more sweet and less bitter.  We put containers of it in the freezer and ate it all winter.  Too much of anything is not a good thing.  :)

I cook with nettles now and then. One day I'll get round to trying fibre. 

Next door are clearing off for a few weeks, that neatly coincides with the end of finals so I'll actually be able to take some leave and get some serious hammering done

Saw a thing online a few months back about the World Nettle Eating Championship held annually in Dorset. Contestants are served two-foot lengths of stinging nettle plants, from which they pluck the leaves and eat them raw. The one with the greatest total length of bare stems after one hour wins.

No, thank you.

Yeah, no. Never heard of any human eating them raw like that. Probably better than some eating contests I've heard of. Like the person who won a cockroach eating contest just to die afterwards from asphyxiating on the regurgitation from it. Ugh, sorry. Tried not to make that too graphic but I would certainly take eating raw stinging nettle over that. 

Hmmmm, after careful and involved consideration I'm afraid my future schedule makes me decline trying either. It's mighty tempting though, I enjoy a cup of nettle tea now and then.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:20 PM, Frosty said:

Texicans used to be a lot more fun to tweak.

Years ago when I was still working, we would go to the bowling alley for lunch. There was a long table dubbed the liars table, where all the old timers would sit. One day one of the realtors was  sitting there and a newcomer from Texas sat down (without being invited). He happened to be an obnoxious loud mouth and was bragging about just buying  a farm. He asked "what is the best crop here". The realtor replied Texans. The Texan looked puzzled and one of the other farmers explained it to him. Y'all come up here and buy a farm, owner financed, go broke, and then we get it back and sell it to another Texan. :D

The bluster buster being told when I moved here was, you could cut Alaska in two and make Texas the 3rd largest state. 

The next twit was for someone else in the group to admonish the Alaskan joker to. "Don't say things like that it's not nice to pick on those who are littler than you are."

Frosty The Lucky.

40 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

He happened to be an obnoxious loud mouth and was bragging about just buying  a farm. He asked "what is the best crop here".

Can't fix stupid!  :D  (no offense to anybody, they are everywhere!)

My memories as a kid getting stung by stinging nettle are deffinately not as bad as my memories of and spotted lifetime of getting poison ivy. After the first attack from stinging nettle you can wear gloves and long pants and you are good. I remember a nylon watchband I had that I got into poison ivy with. After the misery had passed I had put the watch back on and contracted poison ivy again without being around it so the oils must have been in the band. I pitched it out after that.