I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing app for phone

Hi everyone, I just ran across a black bear forge video online in which John Switzer mentions using an app for blacksmithing. It allows you to find all kinds of information about metal composition and what kind of quench goes with which steel. Does anyone know what it is? Anytime I look for this app on my phone I only find blacksmith rpg games... not useful.

anyway my name is Robin, I’m new to this forum. I run Rapuzziironworks down here in New Orleans, LA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, that's the one; it's a free smartphone app. Do keep in mind, however, that many of the times cited therein are for thicker sections of metal, so you'll need to pay extra attention if you are making thinner pieces like blades.

Cross sectional area plays a large part in blade heat treating.  I once saw Daryl Meier's  heat treater's handbook and looked to be *heavily* annotated for what happens with  blade sized sections in heat treat!.

Note that MOST blacksmithing is done with mild steel or A-36; tool making with medium carbon steels or some high alloy steels and  bladesmithing with High carbon steels, are a SUBSET of blacksmithing.  If you mean bladesmithing please use bladesmithing!