I Forge Iron

Comparison Harbor freight flap wheels for 4 1/2" grinder

So I was looking at prices of their different wheels. I thought "what the Hay, try two different ones and see how they do" 

I couldn't see much difference in looking at them. 

In equal work grinding some rebar to points I noticed. A little unfair in I used 36 grit in the cheaper one (didn't have them in 40grit at the store) and 40grit in the "better" brand. 

Well in equal grinding work the "better" brand that boasted better performance outperformed. More disc and still cutting better than the cheapy brand. 

When I get out to buy more, I'd like to test prices and performance on other name brands. 

This is just a little comparison. I have no benefit other then passing on my experience with these. 

20210514_224552.thumb.jpg.0da75ecc23c1b5de1749e8b626436f36.jpg

20210514_224654.thumb.jpg.421b6b04f085c3269211282b0d6a9339.jpg

20210514_224712.thumb.jpg.36eadd31fffdadc94fba5035d94b57fd.jpg

What was the price difference? Honestly I usually go the cheapest route but if there's a significant increase in life without a huge jump in price I'd buy the name brand flap wheels. The two closest stores to me are TSC and WalMart. I don't know if there's any real difference between the two though. 

Pnut

I have been “unfortunate” enough to spend the last 45 years of my life depending on a welding machine and grinders to support my family. I will only go to a welding  supply store and purchase high quality grinding wheels, this includes al types(grinding, flap, pipeliner, cutting, etc) for two reasons. 
#1: Safety, you will get a much better quality product that has less chance of blowing up on you. If you haven’t seen this, just believe that you don’t want to be a witness!
#2: the quality Of the wheel will out perform the “inexpensive “ wheel in amount of work and time using it every time saving you more money and time than you tried to save with the inexpensive brand 

On 5/15/2021 at 5:56 AM, pnut said:

What was the price difference?

The warrior disc was $4.49 vs. the bauer's at $6.49

I'll be taking these two wheels to task early this week and see what life they have left and how it goes with the end of their usefulness. 

Les, I totally get it. Were this my day job I would go for the higher quality. 

I will say people should Always inspect the wheels for visible defects before purchasing or use, and always use best safe practices in use. I believe that is covered in another topic here. 

Thomas, I always keep an eye out for the higher quality products at lower prices either at fleamarkets, yard sales or even markdowns at stores. But if I need some now I try to get a better deal for the price.